corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » water injection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author water injection
wainey

User status: Offline
19th Nov 03 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone on her do water injection systems? was looking at erl's aquamist system 1, just wondered if anyone new of a good place to get it from and how much roughly im lookin at payin?
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Nov 03 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think kit is around £400?

Get it anywhere, but for fitting maybe try http://www.powerengineering.co.uk
wainey

19th Nov 03 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im alright with the fitting of it cuz my mate will do it, just want a decent place to buy it from
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Nov 03 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure FFWD or PVD could source it for you...
Scott

19th Nov 03 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would help if PVD wew actually on here
corb

19th Nov 03 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfords sell it but if you want some, let me know as we're trying to set something up at the moment which most (98%) people dont know about.
stubbsy

19th Nov 03 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what does the water injection do??? does it increase power in any way etc????
corb

19th Nov 03 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

helps the engine runs cooler by injecting a fine mist of water into the engine, not too clever about it at the moment, but slowly trying to learn. Apparently it's best suited to throttle bodied/high revving n/a cars and turbo'd motors.

And we can get hold of AquaMist kits, which are apparently the bollox.
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water injection reduces inlet charge it does however increase compression ration. I don;t see the point. a decent FMIC is bettter
GIBBS

20th Nov 03 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
Water injection reduces inlet charge it does however increase compression ration. I don;t see the point. a decent FMIC is bettter

There is a point, in certain cars temperature controlling is a HUGE problem, and a large FMIC will in most cases control things, but aquamist is used as a safe guard mainly, the cars are rarely setup to use the aquamist to be able to run more boost etc.. they just use it as a safeguard, we are talking stupid power though. and cars which get VERY hot like Rotary's.

Matthius Gibbius.
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no there is no point Gibbs. if a car needs it then it's running beyond what it should
GIBBS

20th Nov 03 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no there is no point Gibbs. if a car needs it then it's running beyond what it should

I think over 1000bhp for a skyline is strictly running beyond what it should, is this not the point of highly modifying engines, buy whatever u can, fit whatever u can to get more power.. this kit allows more power. some do also add a methanol mix to it which does allow more power if set up for it,.

Matt
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

methanol raises RON. water injection on it's own will not make more power.
GIBBS

20th Nov 03 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
methanol raises RON. water injection on it's own will not make more power.

hence why i just said they use methanol and set up the ccar to make more power, or they can run more power because the car is cooler.

Matt
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but you have to use it all the time and using a higher octane petrol is better. water injection is fine for WW2 fighters not for cars
wainey

20th Nov 03 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y do so many high poweered cars run it then? it helps when runnin big boost i believe, my mate says it aint really needed for low boost applications, low boost being around 18psi!
Drew
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate with 400bhp scooby lost bhp on the rollers when he put his water injection on, so took it back off again
-C-

21st Nov 03 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Interesting theory - perhaps you should inform all the WRC teams who use it what they are doing wrong then!

quote:
a decent FMIC is bettter

Agreed - but not always possible, you can be restricted by cose size & design & will always be compromised because of pipework routing.

A decent water injecttion system will only come on when inlet temps get about XX - its there for SAFETY not to increase power!

As Drew said his mate lost power - probably because it helps retard ignition - yeah his mates car lost power - but its a hell of a lot less likely to go pop with better controlled inlet temps!

I'm usuing it with my car - the car will be mapped without it (as I dont want to rely on it to run more advance (false economy)) then the WI will be added to build a safety margin in

Andy

21st Nov 03 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water injection both cools the inlet charge and reduces the onset ot detonation. This allows you to run more advanced timing on very high compression/boost engines without the risk of detonation, which in turn allows you to make more power safely.
James R

21st Nov 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Water injection reduces inlet charge it does however increase compression ration.

No it doesn't, it reduces CR by cooling the chamber down and reducing gas expantion and hence CR.
It iw very good at what it does and when you can't get a FMIC any bigger it the next thing, although N2O is best at charge temp reduction.
In itself on a highly tuned engine will make more power by increasing the density of the charge so there is more O2 in the cylinder, bigger bang.
Make your own kit. cheaper
vibrio
Banned

22nd Nov 03 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by -C-
quote:

Interesting theory - perhaps you should inform all the WRC teams who use it what they are doing wrong then!

quote:
a decent FMIC is bettter

Agreed - but not always possible, you can be restricted by cose size & design & will always be compromised because of pipework routing.

A decent water injecttion system will only come on when inlet temps get about XX - its there for SAFETY not to increase power!

As Drew said his mate lost power - probably because it helps retard ignition - yeah his mates car lost power - but its a hell of a lot less likely to go pop with better controlled inlet temps!

I'm usuing it with my car - the car will be mapped without it (as I dont want to rely on it to run more advance (false economy)) then the WI will be added to build a safety margin in

WRC cars are not every day cars though are they. sightly different engines
vibrio
Banned

22nd Nov 03 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
quote:
Water injection reduces inlet charge it does however increase compression ration.

No it doesn't, it reduces CR by cooling the chamber down and reducing gas expantion and hence CR.
It iw very good at what it does and when you can't get a FMIC any bigger it the next thing, although N2O is best at charge temp reduction.
In itself on a highly tuned engine will make more power by increasing the density of the charge so there is more O2 in the cylinder, bigger bang.
Make your own kit. cheaper

it does increase CR. this is because you cannot compress water. if you have a road car and you cannot get a FMIC any bigger then you have to cool your inlet you have to wonder what kind of car your building. not going to be day to day is it
wainey

22nd Nov 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got bits and bobs now to make my own scrapyards are wonderful places plus making use of my old overboost sensor to bring the water injection in, im not doing it to make power gains, im doing it to keep the car at a safe charge temp whilst on big boost! already blew the thing up once, this time i want it to last!
James R

22nd Nov 03 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does increase CR. this is because you cannot compress water
It evaporates to stream (gas) which is what gives the cooling effect, and is compressible.

if you have a road car and you cannot get a FMIC any bigger then you have to cool your inlet you have to wonder what kind of car your building. not going to be day to day is it

Engine will have a Bmep of 37. Find out what a yours is.
-C-

22nd Nov 03 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if you have a road car and you cannot get a FMIC any bigger then you have to cool your inlet you have to wonder what kind of car your building. not going to be day to day is it

An Evo with a GT35/40 bolted into the front if the engine - since you were wondering

Day to day? - yes it could be with the engine - I am using a Pectel ECU can change maps at the flick of a switch with reference to fuel used & boost.

The real issue is a clutch that can take the expected torque & can be used in traffic - cos it wont happen!

& No - WRC cars are not your average ca I agree - but then again I am aiming for 'slightly' more than a restricted 300bhp they are allowed to make...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » water injection 23 database queries in 0.0166180 seconds