corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Any I.C.E experts out there-help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any I.C.E experts out there-help!
ArdenSXi

User status: Offline
5th Jan 04 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at buying a sub and amp, quite like the look of the jl audio subs and amps. and [url=http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/12W3v2.jpg]http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/12W3v2.jpg.

Do you think this amp is powerful enough to run the jl sub??
Whats the difference between 2ohm and 4ohm? Could i run this sub at 2ohm from the jl audio amp??

Cheers
ArdenSXi

5th Jan 04 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sub is at the bottom of the page.
drunkenfool

5th Jan 04 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To run the sub at 2ohm, you would have to buy the one with dual 4ohm coils. The amp you are talking about is 200w RMS @ 2 ohm, and the sub is 300w rms @ 2 ohm, so it might be worth getting a slightly more powerful amp.
ArdenSXi

6th Jan 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah kinda thought that myself, anyone reccommend an amp powerful enough to run the sub well?
corb

6th Jan 04 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This amp will be up to the job a bit better http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=920
ArdenSXi

6th Jan 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks like a nice amp. Take it you need to buy a new battery to run at 14.4v?
What kind of amp/wattage would be required to run a Kicker L7 sub?

Cheers
Dom

6th Jan 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wont need a new battery if your current one is in a good state, since it will usually give out about 13-14v However, i would recommend that you get it upgraded anyways to a 65Ah battery or sumthing etc

As for the amp, yea you'll need a more powerful one mate I would go for the Alpine M500, its rated at 400wRMS @ 2ohms at 12v and about 500wRMS @ 2ohms, 14.4v. Turn the gains down and it will have plenty of juice for the sub Although it would be more for SQ rather than anything
ArdenSXi

6th Jan 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably need a new one then, it loses charge quickly sometimes.

What do you mean more for sound quality than anything else? Would really like a mixture of sq and spl, mostly on spl though. Any other amps/subs anyone reccomends?
drunkenfool

7th Jan 04 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

7th Jan 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ArdenSXi
Probably need a new one then, it loses charge quickly sometimes.

What do you mean more for sound quality than anything else? Would really like a mixture of sq and spl, mostly on spl though. Any other amps/subs anyone reccomends?

Well unless your gonna run your car in sound offs, you go for sound quality...obviously. Now with amps, it says 100wRMS etc but that 100wRMS is in perfect conditions (like resistance on cables, power etc) so when ya turn it up, it might only be wacking out 85wRMS. Now, unless you spend silly money on amps, which do what they say on the tin ie: push out 100wRMS, then your not gonna the full wack that a cheaper amp will produce So what ya do is, getting a slightly bigger amp, lets say 150wRMS and turn the gains down a tad, so when you wack up the volume, it gets the most outta your speaker/sub etc

However, if you want a mixture, then basically its all down to size etc power. So a big fook off sub and a even bigger fook off amp and you will have something that will sound good and will be pretty loud. But you better get ya credit card at the ready, because it aint gonna be cheap And im sure drunkenfool will back me up on that lol

Now if your going for just sound offs, then its big fook off subs and loads of them, bigger amps, special built boxes to the resonant frequency of your car/bus/van/boat/truck, etc Plus it will be pretty much flat-lined (all frequencies are at equal levels to each other) too...so it sounds all shite, but its loud...thats about it
ArdenSXi

8th Jan 04 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the essay, sorry post
Gonna order maself an Alpine blah blah blah.... head unit, cant remember the code its about 285quid. Also gonna order a R.E FE12 sub, got to save up some pennys for the amp. Want a bit of a mix of volume and sound Q.
drunkenfool

8th Jan 04 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
But you better get ya credit card at the ready, because it aint gonna be cheap And im sure drunkenfool will back me up on that lol

Or just get some SPLX stuff from halfords, its the dogs danglies.
drunkenfool

8th Jan 04 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ArdenSXigot to save up some pennys for the amp

I like your thinking.
corb

8th Jan 04 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^Halfords dont sell SPLX. However, they do sell top name brands such as Focal, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Phoenix Gold, Alpine...................
drunkenfool

8th Jan 04 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stand corrected!

New Poll