corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » abit stuck with bike related question....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author abit stuck with bike related question....
L33 LEG
Banned

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 04 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seen as i am a learner again, does this mean that i can take a CBT test and ride a 125cc bike without taking my driving test again.

basically instead of buying a car i wanna buy a bike as they are cheaper and more simple to get from place to place. so what exactly do i need to do. im 18 by the way, is the first thing i need to do is get ur CBT done and then i can ride a 125cc straight away,and then when i pass my bike test get a 250cc?

what is this CBT, is it simple and is there a theory involved sumwer.

i really have no idea about bikes, so i will be grateful if u can help me, cheers
vibrio
Banned

23rd Jan 04 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CBT
Compulsory Basic Training
Who needs to do CBT?

PLEASE NOTE! IF YOU ARE TOLD THAT YOU CAN COMPLETE CBT IN LESS THAN A DAY THEN YOU ARE NOT GETTING A FULL COURSE AS LAID DOWN BY THE DRIVING STANDARDS AGENCY! BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING FOR YOUR MONEY!!! THE ON-ROAD ELEMENT ALONE BY LAW TAKES A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

ALSO NOTE THAT CBT IS YOUR STARTING POINT FOR YOUR TRAINING. PRE CBT TRAINING IS AGAINST DSA POLICY! WE FEEL YOU SHOULD NOT BE PAYING FOR THIS.

AT BIKE-IT WE PRIDE OURSELVES IN CARRYING OUT THE MOST THOROUGH COMPULSORY BASIC TRAINING, AS LAID DOWN BY THE DSA.

All learner motorcyclists must complete their CBT before riding ANY motorbike or scooter on the road. This means they must hold a certificate DL196. The ONLY exceptions are:

If you passed a full moped test after 1st December 1990.
If you live and ride on specified offshore islands.
If you already hold a certificate of completion obtained during a previous motorcycle entitlement or when riding a moped.
Or if you wish to ride a moped using the full moped entitlement provided by a full car licence.
Please check with us to see if you need to take CBT or not, don't ride illegally - it's not worth it!
It should be noted that the DL196 only has a two year life.

What is CBT?

Introduced in 1990 CBT is intended to reduce the rate of accidents in new and inexperienced riders. CBT must be taken with an approved training Body, such as BIKE-IT. CBT is designed to be helpful not difficult and will give you a good start to your training. Feedback tells us people find it a very enjoyable experience.

There are five main parts (A-E) to CBT. Each must be passed before a DL196 can be issued. PLEASE NOTE OUR IMPORTANT POINTS AT THE HEAD OF THIS SECTION.

A - Introduction

This includes a discussion about the aims of the CBT, the importance of the right equipment and clothing and the need to have your eyesight tested.
Your eyesight will be tested by the instructor on the day so if you wear spectacles remember to bring them along. To pass the test you must read a standard number plate at a distance 20.5 meters in good daylight.
B - Practical on-site training

This part of the training aims to familiarise you with the motorcycle and its controls. By the end of the session you should be able to:

Carry out basic checks to the bike
Put it on and take it off its stand
Start and stop the engine
Wheel the motorcycle around to both the left and right with good balance
Bring the bike to a stop using the brakes

C - Practical on-site riding

This is where you will first be shown how to ride the motorcycle and by the end of the session should be able to show that you can ride the bike and keep it in your control. This will include, amongst other parts, riding the bike slowly and braking in an emergency.
D - Practical on-road training

This will be a comprehensive discussion about riding safely on the road. It will include, amongst other topics, rider visibility, legal requirements, riding at the correct speed, anticipation of others actions, observation and hazard perception.

E - Practical on-road riding

In this final part the instructor will take you and possibly one other learner out on to the road for a minimum of two hours. During this time you will be expected to demonstrate riding in a competent and safe manner in a variety of road conditions and the instructor will be looking to see how you cope with obstacles such as roundabouts, junctions, traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.
Completion

Once you have completed all five parts in sequence to a satisfactory standard you will be issued with certificate DL196. Keep your DL196 safe you will need it again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does a DL196 entitle me to do?

Once you have a DL196 you will be entitled to ride on the road to train further towards your motorcycle or moped test. As a learner, displaying 'L' plates you cannot carry passengers or ride on the motorway. The machine you are allowed to use must have an engine not over 125cc unless you are accompanied by an instructor and are wearing the appropriate safety gear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the day.

CBT takes a full day to complete with a break for lunch. The training can be completed on your own bike or on one hired from us. You can check the price difference on the list of BIKE-IT Prices. You should wear tough clothing, leathers are best but heavy denim will do. We can provide you with a safety helmet though you should provide your own gloves, boots and if needed waterproof clothing. Discussions will take place in our classroom and we have basic kitchen facilities and a toilet on-site for your use.

L33 LEG
Banned

23rd Jan 04 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers vibs
L33 LEG
Banned

23rd Jan 04 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so after this CBT thingy, i can ride my bike for aslong as i want but without going on the motorway until i pass a test.

how much is the CBT?

this will be the ever time i have been on a bike, do u think i will find it hard. is it easy to get used to the balance, gears ect.

sorry for all these questions, its just that i need some transport sorted soon and i dont really know the first thing about riding
Daimo B

23rd Jan 04 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No

Basically, a CBT allows you to ride up to a 125cc machine (Or 9bhp or something silly), or a 50cc machine if you are 16.

A CBT lasts for 2 years, after which you can either re-take you CBT for a further 2 years or carry on to take a full test/license.

There are different full licenses also. 1 allows you to ride a bike up to 33bhp for 2 years, after which you can have it de-limted again (so you could go buy a 1300cc bandit, but have it limited to 33bhp).

Or, if you have been riding a few years (Advisable) you can take your full access test Like moi.

But i was riding on my CBT for 3 years (used to be 3 years). Now i have a full license, but still only ride a 200cc scoota fto london.

I will have a decent bike one day, after i've finished the car, eventually
Daimo B

23rd Jan 04 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, CBT is about £100 inc bike hire and insurance.

You can't go on a motorway no, dual carrageways yes!

Balance, well, CBT you can't really fail, its just a days course that teaches you the basics of riding a bike on the road. You;ll find your own skills will vastly improve once you have gained confidence and master the art of riding.

1st half of the day usually entails being in a carpark with cones getting you to balance and use the indicators, emergency stop etc. Its pretty easy if you have the confidence. Your CBT instructer will find out if you have ridden before on the day.

2nd half of the day usually is out on the road just riding about.
p1ummy

23rd Jan 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CBT ya have to renew it every 2 years n ya can ride ANY BIKE aslong as its restricted to 33BHP
costs 65£ if ya gonna do it on ya own bike... bout 80 if ya wanna hire 1
L33 LEG
Banned

23rd Jan 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers daimo and pummy, great help

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » abit stuck with bike related question.... 23 database queries in 0.0101540 seconds