corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Question : Can you have insurance in your own name if you dont own the car.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance Question : Can you have insurance in your own name if you dont own the car.
Dean_H

User status: Offline
27th Feb 04 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reason im asking is i own and paid for my car but it is in my fathers name for insurance purposes. If i decide in the future to have insurance in my own name can i do that? Save me swaping the car over to my name and adding another owner on the history for no reason

Also if you can, will the insurance price be just the same as if i owned the car in my own name.

Thanks
Kris TD

27th Feb 04 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, has to be regiatered in the policy holders name.
bubble

27th Feb 04 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u own the car then yeah course u can.
bubble

27th Feb 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just re-read. if u paid for it, its in your name. saying its your dads and ure a driver wont effect it if u said its your dads and ur a driver.
in 1st instance should have told insurance to insure your dad as main and u as named. why u said car belong to dad if yours?
kerzo

27th Feb 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coz maybe his dad was the policy holder and he was a named driver
bubble

27th Feb 04 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but he says at top car in dads name, ie on log book, dont understand why if he bought car
kerzo

27th Feb 04 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the insurance would be cheaper....exactly the same as me
bubble

27th Feb 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it shouldnt make no difference really. saying his dad is main driver would make sense but telling insurance it his dads. dont c why it make a difference.insurance goes off risk to others, post code, model etc, not who it belongs too.
oh well...
Dean_H

At the moment my father is the "main driver" and im the named driver, so i registered the car in his name so this is legal.

But next year im thinking of putting it in my own name. Making me the only main driver. Only thing is he is the registered owner on the DVLA thing.

So it looks like im gonna have to put it over in my name to have insurance in my own name
BigSte

This was same for me.......bought a car and had it in my dads name and insured it as him as main driver for cheaper insurance, I then wanted insurance in my own name so I changed name on log book. This added another owner to the log book but its wrote off now so not bothered
Dean_H

27th Feb 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsabubble it is ILLEGAL and a strong chance the insurance wont pay out if the car is registered with MR XXXX and on the insurance the main driver is MR YYYYY and MR XXXX as a named driver.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 04 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the insurer, some will do it I think. It probably rings big alarm bells though as obviously this is a classic symptom of a fronted policy.

You may be OK though, in light of the fact that you are insuring a car belonging to someone of a lower risk - the complete opposite of trying to fraudulently obtain cheaper insurance.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Question : Can you have insurance in your own name if you dont own the car. 23 database queries in 0.0083230 seconds