corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 16v sport or vtr

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 16v sport or vtr
L330wnz

User status: Offline
26th Mar 04 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye make me laugh and go on 4 ages every1 has their own opinions and experiences so stop the bitchin' I beat a 2.0L Volvo from the lights the other day in my 1.6 sport but I'm sure top end it wud cain me..so...

Cya.....

[Edited on 26-03-2004 by L330wnz]
LukeGSi

26th Mar 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i beat a ferrari f40 so there!! and a 911 turbo

Cybermonkey

26th Mar 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some very true comments there burt, but like you said, figures on paper and on road are 2 different thigs entirely. My old sport could do the 60 sprint in 8.7 seconds. Just proves that factory figures are quite conservative. The pure midrange of the 1.6 is far superior to all these cars, especially in 3rd, i used to love slip roads in 3rd gear, right up to 88mph.
L330wnz

26th Mar 04 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer my sport is mint in 3rd gear...! Oh and born_upsideout I whooped an Evo yesterday..LoL
L330wnz

26th Mar 04 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was parked tho.....

[Edited on 26-03-2004 by L330wnz]
Keithie

26th Mar 04 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my gsi...i like changing from 3rd to fourth...its a ratio thang ;-)
burt16v

26th Mar 04 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

these thread are good craic alrite!
factory figures are balls....
take the VTS against an RS2000
vts is 7.4 to 60 and 128
and the RS is 8.2 and 131, but i can beat me mates VTS, plus hes a 4branch, scorpion system and ram cooler. Ford test with 3 passengers and a full tank of fuel, but then again its an RS so it makes it all better! hehe
Most of u dudes probably wont beleive me anyway but i aint lying..... :-)
Ajones_17

26th Mar 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you coul have some fun in that rs2000 mate killin saxo's. It probably sounded like i was wonderin which one to buy but i've actually got an R reg 1.6 16v sport but i've not had it long so i've not had chance to race a VTR yet so i was just wonderin if i could beat it or not before i have a go at one from the lights. it's completely standard apart from a set of 15's i've got on it while i save up for some 16's with a 60mm drop. Your right though about the third gear thing it definately feels a damn lot quicker than the 1.4 16v sport i used to have. So does everyone reckon i could wup a VTR then. Cheers everyone. Andy.
L330wnz

26th Mar 04 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Andy u wud beat them, pulling away probably equal but once u hit 3rd gear u'll leave the vtr!! But make sure it aint a vts or u'll probably get whipped as urs is standard just like my 1.6i sport!
burt16v

26th Mar 04 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah boss u'll beat a vtr, it'll be tight of the lights as theyre 8 valve and get their power down quite quick but as L330 says hit 3rd and itll be see ya later VTR.

one thing about the 16" rims though they will slow it a good bit. i had Alessio 2's and they killed my corsa but they are a heavy wheel.....but then again the looks were worth it!
Get urself a full system, 4 branch and performance inlet manifold and chip an u'll be wipin the smile off a few VTS drivers too.

[Edited on 26-03-2004 by burt16v]
L330wnz

26th Mar 04 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blackula

26th Mar 04 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

3) VTR is slower than a Sport 1.6, and just like the Zetec S, will be left following rather than overtaking or staying alongside.

With respect, thats incorrect in my opinion. The VTR at 90 or 98 despite being a bit lighter......and they are not loads lighter than Corsas and Fiestas like everyone thinks, the Corsa having more power and more torque and different gearing is quicker than a VTR.

The Zetec s quoted at 103 bho and 0-60 in 10.2, thats downplayed originally to preserve puma sales.

I timed mine with a Gtec to 8.6 and others used gs and other stuff at the meet.

The actual power of the car is more like 115, you can see this from dyno reports and even the Focus 1.6 using a supposed 99bhp variant of the engine makes 110 standard, you can verify this at the superchips website, where a pre superchis focus 1.6 made 110 bhp. The Zetec s has a little more power.

ALso it has a basic traction control system and is easier to launch than a Corsa and as for straight line performance a 1.6 sport is not quicker, if anything the ZS is quicker of equal.

As for the engine being not as good as GM, the Ford Zetec engine tweaked by Yamaha (1.7 was solely Yamaha design) is a cracking engine, only downside is a thirst for oil.

Now a Saxo engine, thats a crap motor, rattling, burning oil, falling to bits.

I had two fookin VTR;s and two ZS's and came across a fre Corsa's on the road in my time to offer a proper comparison.

Build of Corsa, even Corsa B probably superior to ford though.
Gavin
Premium Member

26th Mar 04 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

COoooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaa all the way matey

pew pew pew pewwwww
1.6 Sport BadBoy

26th Mar 04 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grrr, ya see, ive gotta 1.6 sport and i think its slow as shite! either that or i should stop racing mr2's! lol

but in all honesty, you've gotta think about the fact the the sport is and ecotec engine and its the same as cybermokey said, each car is individual, some quicker than others! - i just must have got a slow one

really considering that velos 300bhp turbo conversion come summer time: all depends on whether they're gonna bring it out or not

need more power!
LukeGSi

27th Mar 04 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1.6 Sport BadBoy
grrr, ya see, ive gotta 1.6 sport and i think its slow as shite! either that or i should stop racing mr2's! lol
really considering that velos 300bhp turbo conversion come summer time: all depends on whether they're gonna bring it out or not
need more power!

A couple of things worry me about your reply

Your sport is going to feel very slow compaired with an MR2 you fool and when you mention a velos conversion do you mean they will turbo your existing engine if so 300bhp seems a little optimistic IMO unless you will be spending MEGA bucks!! If you want more power your better off ditching a corsa entirely and getting something with a better spec as standard or putting a 2lt in yours and then if you've got plently of £££ pop some trottle bodies on
Cybermonkey

27th Mar 04 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah velos are bringing out a high pressure turbo kit in the future, apparently its been in development for ages to ensure reliabilty on the 16XE. Its gonna be big bucks though. Blackula, in my experience, the ZS 1.6 engine is weak for what it is. No way is it near as good as a 16XE. the 16XE is up there with the 20XE as the best engine vauxhall have ever created. It pushed over 150bhp in stock form during testing, and was brought down to a more conservative level so it would not overshadow the 20XE that powered their astra and cavalier, calibra.
blackula

27th Mar 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cyber, yeah Vauxhall 1.6 engine is better than the Ford Zetec 1.6, but that Zetec ain't that bad, even the 1.25 flies for what it is.

THe VTR engine is a nasty thing, both of mine leaked oil and rattled, even with careful warm ups, regular oil changes and not too much trashing.

But then again even the Vauxhall 1.6 is no Honda engine.

Cybermonkey

27th Mar 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true, the saxo engine is pretty rattly after a while. The 16XE aint no honda engine, but with money thrown at it, 10,000rpm rev limit and 250bhp is possible
J20PHL

2nd Sep 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saxo's are wank!

Corsa's are not

there w are problem solved.........end of discussion
Adam-D

2nd Sep 04 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vtr is shite

Siberia

2nd Sep 04 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

old thread
J da Silva

2nd Sep 04 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
some very true comments there burt, but like you said, figures on paper and on road are 2 different thigs entirely. My old sport could do the 60 sprint in 8.7 seconds. Just proves that factory figures are quite conservative. The pure midrange of the 1.6 is far superior to all these cars, especially in 3rd, i used to love slip roads in 3rd gear, right up to 88mph.

you always bleet on about whats on paper, ever thought this guy maybe better at driving than the lad he raced? nope didn't think so
Joff

2nd Sep 04 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy the Corsa Sport.

If you really are about to buy a Saxo, get the 106 equivalent instead.
corsa_rob

26th Dec 06 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i destroyed at saxo the other day wasnt sure if it was vtr though but had arches, alloys and badges so shud think it was like! i wanted to get a vtr but cudnt find a low mileage so opted for the sport

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll