corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Handbrake cable adjuster

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Handbrake cable adjuster
mike_1.2LS96

User status: Offline
   4th Apr 04 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The adjuster is seized and rusted bad. I can't turn it and spanners just slip. Is it a 10mm nut, cos that spanner wont fit. The handbrake just goes up.

I had fitted new brake shoes, and checked them today, and one wheel wouldn't turn freely with the hand brake off So I slacked the self-adjuster in the drum off, and now the handbrake flies up to the top.

Am I right in thinking the handbrake itself should lie flat when you put it on and not at an angle?

Any ideas?

[Edited on 04-04-2004 by mike_1.2LS96]
corsa_jim

4th Apr 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The nut is a 11mm you want to adjust the drums up first so they jus to say rub (only just ) then take up the slack with the cable but if its seized might be just as good to fit a new cable not a bad job to do probs take the same amount of time as to free off the nut

Jim
mike_1.2LS96

4th Apr 04 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers.

Tried again only managed to move it a little. The problem is the drums are worn down badly they have a lip which makes it hard to set the spacer.

I think its gonna be a new set of brake components and drums. Will be easier that way.
Kris TD

4th Apr 04 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new handbrakes cables are like 6 quid each. change that i would say.
mike_1.2LS96

4th Apr 04 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something also worried me, some brake fluid dripped out of the pistons. I checked it by pressing the brakes and no more came out.

Yeh, will get a new cable as well as the rest.

Skinner

5th Apr 04 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would replace ur ctlinders if brake fluid came out other wise youll end up haveing no brakes and haveing 2 replace your shoes again

New Poll