corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £230 and still no better!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author £230 and still no better!!
andycb

User status: Offline
6th Apr 04 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two weeks ago i took my car to a garage and told them i had knocking noises coming from the back left wheel.. he jacked it up, did his thing, showed me what was wrong and said u will need a new bearing..
so i booked the car in and took it back the next week, at first he didnt tighten it im guessing, so i took it back a third time and all was fine.
untill three days later going down the A1(M) late at night (fairly quick) and the bearing collapsed and i nearly ended up in a ditch..
so i went back the next day, they stripped the wheel down and showed me the stud axle with the thread ripped off (told me it was because i drive too fast (i drive fast, but i dont thrash it round corners like they were implying))..
i left it with them and came back the next day, hoping the £170 on a new stud axle would fix it..
no joy.. its still got the same knocking sound as it did three weeks ago..

ive been ripped off in my opinion.. i dont think it was the bearing at all in the first place, and ive heard of a mis-tightened bearing breaking a stud axle before..

anyone any ideas what the knocking noise is? im thinking of taking it to a vauxhall garage.. but that could mean another £230 i just dont have!

LukeGSi

6th Apr 04 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it back to the garage who done the work and make them fix the problem....they have charged you for something they claim will fix it and it hasnt so back to them it should go
Nick-S

6th Apr 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sory to hear that mate

Prrity lucky realy. cud av bin worse

Take it bak and complane. i wud
andycb

6th Apr 04 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been back nearly 6 times..

ive just had a look at my haynes manual, jacked it up and from what i can tell the bearing just isnt tight enough..

anybody know how to tighten them and how much?

they overtightened it last time i took it back, and another thread on here said thats why the stud axle went..
LukeGSi

6th Apr 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quit playing with it yourself and get it back to the garage and politely tell them if its not fixed you will be taking steps etc....mention legal action, trading standards, the fact they could have killed you etc etc and im sure they'll take another look at it for you
PaulW

6th Apr 04 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they had replaced the bearing they would of noticed the condition of the stub axle if it was damaged when doing that. The stub axle won't be damaged either given how fast you drive, unless the bearings do go big style, in your case, collapsed. So the damage there showing you & blaming you for is actually the result of there shoddy work & the bearing they said they fixed fookin off!

They were paid (too much) to do a job which they never did properly & like said it could of cost you your life.

Take it back tell them it to sort it ASAP, and if they kick up, like born_upsideout says take them to the cleaners (legal action). They wouldn't stand a chance given how things have worked out!

[Edited on 06-04-2004 by PaulW]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £230 and still no better!! 23 database queries in 0.0078681 seconds