corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Finally finished my Temp gauge module thingy...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Finally finished my Temp gauge module thingy...
MattyB

User status: Offline
   12th Apr 04 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno how many of ya will be interested, but some of u might be, and might wanna do summat similar on ur own cars (its not just for turbos!)

anyway.....after spending a few hours here and there i've built me a temperature gauge thingy which basically tells me the engine block temp, post intercooler temp and induction temp

Its built into the top glovebox (air bag on later 306s), but has a false inner face. As you can see, three LCDs. 2 are little cheapo maplin ones, but they have proven very reliable and accurate in testing, and read up to 120 Deg!

The central display shows the post intercooler temp. Its a gauge i got shipped in from Aus coz i cudnt find ANYTHING similar on the net that was supplied with a suitable probe, reads from -50 to 200deg. and is accurate enough. Unfortunately, the guages are 1.5v, but i wanted to do a good job and hard wired them in with a power converter.

One toggle switch turns the dump valve on/off, and the other turns the intercooler spray pump on/off. I went over the lot with black felt, twice

I'm hopin it will come in useful with testing out different induction kit/cold air feed methods, and once the water spray is plumbed in etc. The block temp, is just so i know when the engine is warm enuff to be driven "decently", as the ph1 306 coolant gauges aint all that good.

Anyway, lovely jubbly. i'm chuffed. any questions, u2u me or woteva.

Matt
waynep

12th Apr 04 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was guna say matt looks like u been raiding maplins latley Nice work man
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Apr 04 at 18:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking neat how you documented it well, could make a nice tutorial for a 306 site or something?
Jambo

12th Apr 04 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty damn cool if you ask me!
MattyB

12th Apr 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol cheers ppl.....yeah i documented it all....not many pics mind.....but i'll get a guide together me thinks! Its pretty simple really, just needed thinking about to sort out! lol
kerzo

12th Apr 04 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done there fella, doing really good work to your machine
Mattb

12th Apr 04 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
lol cheers ppl.....yeah i documented it all....not many pics mind.....but i'll get a guide together me thinks! Its pretty simple really, just needed thinking about to sort out! lol

^^^^ yeh get a guide up, as i want to do somthing similar on mine..

looks well fitted that matt, good job
Trotty

12th Apr 04 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice tidy job there Matt, nice one
FlamingCorsa

12th Apr 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats class mate, well impressed with that! well done
Marc

12th Apr 04 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far can you go with your car performance wise Matt?
kerzo

12th Apr 04 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparantly there you can go to 170bhp without getting into major amounts of money, mainly through fmic etc.....basically better cooling

vibrio
Banned

12th Apr 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how easy is it to read from the drivers seat

and what are your results?
MattyB

12th Apr 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for all your positive replies......appreciate it!

Marc - i'm prob at the furthest i'll go matey.....i got the 306 for cheap insurance and running costs, and with the fuelling/boost as it is, i've got quite a good performance/economy balance

i could talk to u for hours bout DT tuning but i wont....but pretty much what Kerzo says matey.

A Geeza called Gav off the PGAC built a demo car for his Derv tuning company, basically the maximum ur looking from the Mechanically controlled motors is about 160-170bhp, which is bout 300lb/torque. That was front mounted I/C, Hybrid turbo, Aquamist, full zaust, bit of headwork, cam, sky high fuelling, and bout 28psi 0-60 was bout 7.5s, but the 40-80 was meant to be unfuckin-believeable.

The way forward is with these new ECU controlled Dervs like the HDi in the 306. More ££££ but far more tuneable.

Matt
MattyB

12th Apr 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
how easy is it to read from the drivers seat

and what are your results?

Not too bad vibs...i built a "false" front into the glovebox to bring the gauges out a bit, which is better. The problem i have found is @ night cant see a sodding thing, coz they aint back lit. Pop down to Maplins 2moz and get me some white LEDs to stick in the lid above.

As for results......i gave it a good old booting earlier on this afternoon......i mean 18PSi in 1st->4th.....and the post intercooler temp got to 84.4deg C at the very maximum. I know this coz the unit has a min/max recall thingy. Also note, this unit has a 40mm metal probe, that is sealed into a drilled hole into the outlet duct on the intercooler as it goes into the inlet manifold.

To be quite honest, it only all went in today, so i've not had much use outta it all! i'll keep ya posted tho!

As u can guess, the induction temp is basically just a little cooler than ambient outside temp, altho fluctuates under acceleration. The unit on the engine block sits at around the same coolant gauge (80-90), but is mainly to be used for first 5 mins of drive!

Matt
vibrio
Banned

12th Apr 04 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

84C thats very high for air going though an intercooler. how much air actually goes through the IC. My standard IC gave a max of 45C when going from 1st to the top of 4th gear
MattyB

13th Apr 04 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its quite high i guess......erm.....the intercooler bolts face to face onto the intlet manifold, so 100% of the air goes through the intercooler. ie: there is no other route once the compressed air leaves the turbo!

I'm guessing that its soo hot coz of the 18PSi? As well as having a top mounted I/C

Hopefully my I/C spray will help a bit, especially on sprints etc

Matt
vibrio
Banned

13th Apr 04 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Its quite high i guess......erm.....the intercooler bolts face to face onto the intlet manifold, so 100% of the air goes through the intercooler. ie: there is no other route once the compressed air leaves the turbo!

I'm guessing that its soo hot coz of the 18PSi? As well as having a top mounted I/C

Hopefully my I/C spray will help a bit, especially on sprints etc

Matt

I worded it crap. what is the cold air supply like for the intercooler. whats behind the IC.
MattyB

13th Apr 04 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically the intercooler sits flat onto of the engine, like it does on a scooby or wot have ya.

The bonnet insulation is designed in such a way, that it contains a "duct", which brings cold air from the grille, through the bonnet, and into the intercooler chamber. Above the intercooler i also have 11 x 3" louvres, which help get cold air down onto it.

Unfortunately, right below the intercooler is the engine. Literally 2-3" below, sits the rocker cover. Reckon a heat shield might be an idea?

Matt
vibrio
Banned

13th Apr 04 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need somthing to force the air in
MattyB

13th Apr 04 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might be crazy.....but wot if i ran 3 x 4" PC cooling fans below the intercooler, to help drag more cold air from above, down and thru the I/C?

or would these just hinder things at higher speeds?

Matt
vibrio
Banned

13th Apr 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be shit. you need air to be forced onto the IC
MattyB

13th Apr 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

straight to the point there
Tom

13th Apr 04 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only way would be to stick a bad as scooby vent which would look daft

Did u decide not to find a way of mounting one on the front?
MattyB

13th Apr 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, on a 306 the rad is huge, and in front of it, is 2 huge fans. The only way u can do it, is to bring the rad mounts back a couple of inches, and fit the fans on the back.

Then u need a custom I/C, all the piping etc.... i'll leave that to the proper turbo boys!!

It wud be nice, just not worth the hassle and £££ on my derv IMO.

Matt

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Finally finished my Temp gauge module thingy... 23 database queries in 0.0152719 seconds