corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Springs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Springs
Siberia

User status: Offline
22nd Apr 04 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how dangerous would it be it ya cut 1 coil of a set of front springs. if ya cut them the right way so that the fit into the cups right. not worried about shock damage just wondering would it be ok.
J da Silva

22nd Apr 04 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never tried it, personaly i would have thought aslong as all the measurements are spot on it might be ok, still wouldnt advise it though, may weeken the spring?
drunkenfool

22nd Apr 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive always been told this is a pretty stupid thing to do, and part of the reason why car modifiers pay such big premiums.
AdiSRI

22nd Apr 04 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it
CorsAsh

22nd Apr 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the springs are progressively rated, so the coils get closer as you get to the middle of the spring, cuttin some off will mean they're far more likely to pop out, at which point you'll probably crash and kill yourself or those around you.

So don't do it.
J da Silva

22nd Apr 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you ever seen a spring pop off the compressors? or out from a car?
i was at college doing an engine strip once, and there were some advanced level 4 students doing a supsension the next bay, the axle stands were not properly in place and the car fell off and one of the springs popped out, shot through the roof and ended up 50odd yards down the road quite dangerous when your an idiot
CorsAsh

22nd Apr 04 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I havent seen one do it, but i know of instances when the local chavs have done it to their novas etc and its gone horribly wrong.
Siberia

22nd Apr 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i can imagine! when i was changing the front springs there was some serious tension on the spring compressors.

we used to have cut springs in our 3.5ltre v8 SD1 rover stockcar and it handled like a gokart.

Although i suppose we had 4 cortina rear shocks in the back.

New Poll