corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » suspension criteria

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author suspension criteria
Jambo

User status: Offline
27th Apr 04 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres some points that i would like some informed answers about im due to replace my suspension soon and am so confused by alot of conficting information about suspension setups, so here is my criteria id like peeps to reccomend a decent setup:

- Lowered for handling purposes not for looks, around 40mm
- No stupidly hard ride, my car is to be driven on a road not a track
- No need to adjust ride height
- No spacers to be added to my wheels (7x17)
- Must last longer than 25,000 miles
- No bouncyness
- Price non too astranomical

Any help? Springs will need to be uprated to 2.0 spec poundage too
R Lee

27th Apr 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

koni
Jim1.6

27th Apr 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

koni damping adj.
£350
Jambo

27th Apr 04 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres the best place to get these konis from then?
corsafreak

27th Apr 04 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have koni's tried running them with koni supplied springs and with eibach -30mm, it handles very well..... but it's gonna be alot harder then your stock setup.
it bounces more due to 2 reasons:-

1. because the shocks are stiffer so absorb the bumps less.

2. because its lowered and koni spring platforms are exactly the same height as stock item, so lowering gives the piston less downward movement.this can lead to it hitting the bumpstop if you go over a bump in the road.

personally i will probably change to fk highsport coilovers in the future as people reckon the give a smooth ride.

hope this helps
Jambo

27th Apr 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have uprated stuff allready corsafreak, im just tryin to sift through alot of conflicting advice on suspension to do with stiffness.

I have also heard you need spacers for coilovers so they dont foul the wheel which result in cack handling
AdiSRI

27th Apr 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coilovers give the best handling, compared to normal springs/dampers, even if u need small spacer.

Tbh if u really want handling u shudnt have 7x17' shud u, 15's and coilovers it wud handle amazing...
Jambo

27th Apr 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

handling on 17"s is not comprimised. It has more grip due to there being more rubber.

Only bad points are there is more unsprung weight and its not as "nimble" to drive.
TOMAS

28th Apr 04 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH if I was doing a daily ride I wouldnt drop more than 35mm. I'd say coilovers are whats needed as these allow way more suspension travel than regular style dampers, meaning that you actually have suspension and the springs are doing something!

I'd look more at uprating the spring poundage and using an adjustable damper than actually lowering, I believe most rally corsa's are only dropped by around 25mm but use higher poundage springs (on tarmac).

But then if you are only lowering by 25mm a regular style damper should still allow a reasonable amount of travel before it hits the bumpstops.

Its tricky, if you have the cash adjustable coilovers are the way (and not too low) but if not then I'd go and get myself a QUALITY set of adjustable dampers - Koni, Bilstein etc and then look for some high quality springs - eibach, although your going to need higher poundage fronts. Most people ive spoken to say 325lb fronts are good with the redtop lump.

Oh and from someone who's ran 195/45/15, 195/40/16 and 205/40/17, 17's were DEFINATLEY the worst handling, because they are bigger they make the tyres do an awful lot of work, and when you have a small sidewall it makes things even worse.

[Edited on 28-04-2004 by TOMAS]

New Poll