corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » PC Question - Motherboard

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC Question - Motherboard
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

User status: Offline
1st May 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt know where to put this question so decided to put it in OD...

If Im changing my motherboard, is it simply a matter of a straight swap they will be the same compatiblity etc. just wanna know if i need to configure the new one at all? oh btw im running XP and will most likely be a ASUS motherboard

cheers
Dom

1st May 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you just changing the mobo mate, then it should be a simple case of take old one out, put new one in then wack your cards cpu/fan etc in after that
Although, read the manual just incase you have to make any jumper settings etc although most of them will be in the BIOS
After that mate, i would recommend that you reinstall XP and go from there. Plus, XP got a bit shitty when i tried to do the same mate...so i did the drew and FORMAT C:
Craig6682

1st May 04 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most boards now are configured via the BIOS. You just bung eveything in and screw the case up.
ZS

1st May 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XP booting up depends on the type of motherboard - if you're changing a Intel board for another Intel board, then you'll be fine. If you're going from say VIA to Intel or something like that, XP won't boot. It's all to do with the IDE drivers.

What board have you now, and what are you getting (give me model numbers if you can) and I'll let you know how well XP will cope.
drunkenfool

1st May 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to reinstall windows when i changed my mobo, although i wanted to do it anyway for a fresh start, so it wasnt too bad.
Dan B

1st May 04 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's usually best to format & reinstall when you change motherboard anyway...

I've formatted and reinstalled OS on my dad's computer today, since he's had a new motherboard put in......things seemed to be running, albeit VERY slowly pre-format, all back to normal with a format.

And I got a free lawn-mower out of it, which I was going to spend money on today!
Russ

1st May 04 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure u buy the right type socket A / socket 478
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

1st May 04 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers all you guys for replying

Dunno what one im gettin yet as im off to the shop tomorrow to get one, seems like everyone agrees that reinstalling XP has to be done
Craig6682

1st May 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always best for a new install of Windows i have found otherwise ya system just slows down.

Depending on what version of Windows XP you have, you may need to reactivate it again. Ya can do it online dead easy, that's what i did
John

1st May 04 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You better forget about all the software and stuff till u make sure your processor, memory and graphics card fit. You'll not be installing anything if they don't.
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

2nd May 04 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh it will fit its just swapping the motherboard, its a simple basic P4 PC setup i have going on - *touch wood*

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » PC Question - Motherboard 23 database queries in 0.1517181 seconds