corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fake AOL email (be wary)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fake AOL email (be wary)
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
24th May 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Subject: Your account overdue
Date: 24/05/2004 08:49:33 GMT Daylight Time

Dear customer,

We encountered a billing error when attempting to renew your AOL membership services. This type of error usually indicates that either the credit card you
have on file has expired or that the billing address we have on file is not current.

Please use the link below to update your billing information.

AOL Billing Center

If you feel this as an error and you want to discontinue your AOL membership, please disregard this message and call our customer service to cancel the service.

America Online Billing Department

© 2004 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Marc

24th May 04 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done Drewston.
Drew
Banned

24th May 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why thank you

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th May 04 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part of the growing phenomenon known as 'phishing'.

Online banks usually suffer these as well.
PaulW

24th May 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I received one of these to my orange.net account

made me chuckle!
luca2020

24th May 04 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same on mobile phones, i know a few people including me saying uve got a new international mail box, please ring this number to set your password, dodgy as fuck
Dan B

24th May 04 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drew
Subject: Your account overdue
Date: 24/05/2004 08:49:33 GMT Daylight Time

Dear customer,

We encountered a billing error when attempting to renew your AOL membership services. This type of error usually indicates that either the credit card you
have on file has expired or that the billing address we have on file is not current.

Please use the link below to update your billing information.

AOL Billing Center

If you feel this as an error and you want to discontinue your AOL membership, please disregard this message and call our customer service to cancel the service.

America Online Billing Department

© 2004 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Not a very good phishing attempt, they've not even made the email-address look authentic...
Drew
Banned

24th May 04 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats was 1 reason i knew why

another was it would have been sent to main account, not mine

another was link went to www.aol-dd - not www.aol.com/???
Joff

24th May 04 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a cracking one from "Lloyds TSB".

The URL on the email looked genuine and opened up the genuine Lloyds homepage, but also loaded a PopOver window with their fake login screen.

Quite clever - I pity the fool that falls foul to these scams.
Dan B

24th May 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a similar one with the Hotmail login-screen a while back, it actually looked identical to the Hotmail login-screen (that they'd used about 3 years previously, the official site had been updated about 5 times since then)...

Although you couldn't tell the difference (apart from the updates) unless you went into the scripting for the "Submit" button......which I did, found the email-address it submitted the login-details to, and reported it to Hotmail.

Got a nice response saying that because it wasn't a direct email-abuse case, they were doing nothing about it......nice of them!
Drew
Banned

24th May 04 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a hotmail one too - looked identical

was to view someones 'web site'

i put my name and pass in, clicked enter, then thought foook, this aint right, and quickly changed my password
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th May 04 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"According to Avivah Litan, a Gartner research director and the author of the study based on the survey, 57 million Americans have been, or think they have been, the victim of a phishing attack. In all, 30 million were positive, while 27 million weren't sure.

Out of that pool, an amazing number fell for the scams--11 million, or about 19% of those attacked, said that they'd clicked on the link in the phishing E-mail. More ominous for the banking and credit-card industry--the prime target of phishing--almost 2 million, or about 3% of those attacked, reported that they'd actually divulged sensitive information, like a credit-card number, by filling in a form on the spoofed Web site the link them to. "

2 million people fell for it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fake AOL email (be wary) 23 database queries in 0.0105681 seconds