corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying question again

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spraying question again
Anton2K3

User status: Offline
   21st Jun 04 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have jus laquered my tank yet again after a failure the first time round. What do you use to get rid of the orange peel effect and polish it up...cutting compund, t-cut, or some other product?

Cheers,

Anton

P.S. I know its in the wrong forum, but more lightly to get an answer here.
Anton2K3

21st Jun 04 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone?
infinitycorsa

21st Jun 04 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T cut and a good load of elbow grease,,, perhaps rub down v liightly
Kris TD

21st Jun 04 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only way too remove orange peel is too sand it flat with 1500 then polish it up, although this wont work very well on laquer. should have done it before you did the clear coat.
obviously not polishing though
Anton2K3

21st Jun 04 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did sand down before clear coat...but your meant to polish it with some sort of compound, what stuff do i use? Its gone on well, but is not shiney like on a car, slightly bumpy.

Anton
Kris TD

21st Jun 04 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it takes ages too sand it down smooth, i spent half an hour removeing orange peel from my boot with 1500 grit before i got bored, its still got orange peel.
use something like g3,7 or 10
on more recent stuff i sprayed there is hardly any orange peel, but thats cos i got a bigger compressor and the finnish is miles better.
Anton2K3

21st Jun 04 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a 2hp 50l compressor, and jus bought myself a nice gravity fed spray gun, so its not the tools. I am new to this whole game, but jus been doing some research on net, and whenever something is sprayed, people polish it with a polisher and some 'polishing compound'. Jus need to know what compound to use.
1600power

22nd Jun 04 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get some rubbing compound only a mild compound is needed not to abrassive and not to fine. then get a slightly damp cloth and rub it in all over the panel, then wash it off and give it a good polish!

shud help the finish loads!
Anton2K3

22nd Jun 04 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which rubbing compound, and where from though? I know you can get cutting compund from halfords? would this be the right stuff?

Anton
Anton2K3

22nd Jun 04 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or would t-cut be better, or t-ct scratch remover compound?
1600power

22nd Jun 04 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've used hte stuff in halfords and its just about the right consistency in my view for getting rid of orange peel!

T-cut is pure wank tho takes ages to get anywhere and will defo not even get close to orange peel!!! it only just about gets rid of paint fade
koni

22nd Jun 04 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Different bodyshops use different polishing systems, we use a very good american system. However, most uk bodyshops use G3. Im not a big fan of G3 my self, my opinion of it is that too much work is needed to get decent results.
You wont be able to get thestuff i use, so maybe speak to a meguiars rep?.

As for orange peel... orange peel only really comes in the top coat, so you should never colour sand the basecoat, it affects the final finish, although some people on here think otherwise... the fact of the matter is, it does. So dont touch the final coat of base coat.
Use an abraisive with a fine scratch pattern to flatten the top coat. 2k lacquer is probably the BEST topcoat to get good finishing results when it comes to final preperation i.e. flattening and polishing. You will never get an off the gun finish that doesnt have bad orange peel. However, equipment, materials and painter are all factors in how bad the orange peel is... so no matter how big or small the job is, generally all bodyshops flatten and polish any work before it goes out the door.

My advice to you is...
Go to a local motor factors/bodyshop supplier and ask them what systems they have that will bring flattened paint back to life by hand (as im guessing you wont be using a polishing machine). Most likely they are going to give you a bottle of G3/G10 and some kind of gloss finishing polish.

hope thats of some help mate

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying question again 23 database queries in 0.0089059 seconds