corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » worn cams!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author worn cams!!!
matz1982

User status: Offline
25th Jun 04 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big cheers 2 a_venables. i've just come on here looking 4 a second opinion 2 my (pinking) motor. a vauxhall technician told me the other day of a few solutions and here said at the very worst it cud be worn cams. how much time/money/ effort is involved in replacing them. i'm told its possible 2 do without taking off the head. any opinions greatl appreciated cos i'm worried my engines goona drop 2 bit! cheers!
A_Venables

25th Jun 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had the cylinder head of the engine, its not as difficult as it sounds as long as you dont rush, use common sense and a haynes manual, although the cam is at the top of the engine, there is the plastic cover right at the top, below that the cam box with the cam inside, then the cylinder head below, the cam box is held in place by the same bolts as the cylinder head and require taking of in a sequence and new bolts put in place when puting back together again being torqued up in a certain sequence at speced torque in sequence, refer to a haynes manual! If you can get the cam out with out taking the cam box off (which I think is possible, THINK!) by either taking the DIS module off or taking it out from the cambelt side it may be easier, you would have to set up the dreaded cambelt and there are a lot of tools you would need to hire to do the job, I asked Courtenay Sport how much it would be for a performance cam fitted and the price was around £300 - £400, join VxlSCC and there is a discount, maybe with this club I'm not sure. Get a haynes manual for the instructions, but be sure you can do it! good luck.
A_Venables

25th Jun 04 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thought I have some pics of my engine in bits when I had the head off, including the head, block AND cam in its box! If some one can host them or you have an email address I can forward them to I'll try and upload them, may be of some use?
Mattb

25th Jun 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many miles has your car done,

what engine is it,
A_Venables

25th Jun 04 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not askin me, but mines done 90,000 miles, but cam can get worn if the oil doesnt get changed enough!
Adam-D

25th Jun 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a spare 1.2 8v if you need any bits?

[Edited on 25-06-2004 by Adam-D]
mike_1.2LS96

25th Jun 04 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also have a 1.2 8v engine in bits
matz1982

26th Jun 04 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its done 104k but bn serviced regular and with quality parts only. c14se lump with stainless catback exhaust dropped 40mm and cav gsi rims.
matz1982

26th Jun 04 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its done 104k but bn serviced regular and with quality parts only. c14se lump with stainless catback exhaust dropped 40mm and cav gsi rims.
matz1982

26th Jun 04 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so wot will happen if i keep running my motor if the cams are worn. is it ok 2 do so or do i have 2 replace asap just i'm drivin 2 max live next w/end and i wanna get there and back from oop north without the help of the aa!
A_Venables

26th Jun 04 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had the worn cam sound on mine for about 25k now, its gettin abit worse but seems to be ok, I've had the car on the rolling road a couple of times and if anything the cars performance is getting slightly better but noisier with the bigger induction kit I'm running, I'm getting a TRUE reading of 89 - 91 BHP at around 5700 - 6000 rpm and 87 - 89 Ib/ft at around 2,700 - 3000 rpm, so I would say it not really under performing for the type of engine, so as long as it doesnt hold back I would have thought it would be OK, BUT that is MY OPINION! The only other mod to the car is a performance back box so I'm well chuffed with the performance of the car!
drunkenfool

27th Jun 04 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have u2u

New Poll