corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Server 2003 help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Server 2003 help
Melville

User status: Offline
28th Jun 04 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok got my server 2003 up and running but the only problem Im having is that users can log on more than once at the same time. Im sure there will be a policy for this but I just cant find it. Any one know what it is??

Cheers Mark
PaulW

28th Jun 04 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you only want them to be able to log on at any one time? so no one user can log on to multiple workstations at the same time?

surely setting a per-machine restriction will be better instead of the amount of sessions, as if there computer crashes out, they'll have to wait for the session to time-out before they can log in again (which means more work for you manually terminating the session)

there is a setting in the GPO somewhere, but i cant remember off the top of my head, but as for only being alowed to log onto certain machines, thats easy
Melville

28th Jun 04 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at them minute a user can log on twice (or more I assume) at the same time. Thing is the daft lasses in reception are using the same account on the computers (fuck knows why, they have been told on numerous occasions not to) So basically I want it so that they are forced to use there own accounts ie they all cant log on under ACCOUNT X. IF you know what I mean
Melville

28th Jun 04 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone??
Tim
Site Administrator

28th Jun 04 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd personally do the per-machine setting as Paul says... Either in permissions or group policy (GPO)...

There's no way of stopping concurrent logins, except using MS ResKit tools like CConnect (very insecure and needs SQL Server -- plus a decent dba to secure the app) or 3rd party apps like UserLock (http://www.softwareshelf.com/products/display.asp?p=42)...
Melville

28th Jun 04 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm interesting, I thought there ould have been a way to do it as it doesnt seem to like trying to save the same account twice at the same time lol

Thing is I cant set per machine up as they use the computers in different rooms sometimes as well!!!

guess I'll just have to lay down the law and refer to the network policiy agreement that they have signed lol
Tim
Site Administrator

28th Jun 04 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or buy UserLock

And yes -- it is stupid considering roaming profiles get confused...

[Edited on 28-06-2004 by Tim]
PaulW

28th Jun 04 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

per-machine restriction.

Go intop Active Directory Users and Computers

Select the properties for the silly woman's user account

Go into the Account tab

Click the Log On To button

Check the option saying 'The following Computers', and type the computer name which you only want her to be able to log into, and click Add and then Ok

Apply & Ok

she will now only be able to login to that 1 machine (or more if you specified multiple machines) & no others.

As far as restrictions concerning amount of logins aloud per session, I just looked through the entire GPO structure can't find it, so best with what Ian says about this UserLock thing (although I aint ever used it so he best to ask!)

[Edited on 28-06-2004 by PaulW]

New Poll