corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Help on buying 2nd hand cars!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help on buying 2nd hand cars!
Happy_2008

User status: Offline
25th Jul 04 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi people, could someone point me in the direction of the procedures that i would go through to buy a 2nd hand car from private??? Im after a CTR in a 02 plate and this guy lives in surrey and me in kent! If i agree to purchase this car, what are my options?

1) If i dont like the state of the car but agreed to buy then what happens?

2) Is it worth making a trip up there first 2 see the vehicle then agree

3) Agree to buy the car and make one visit then decide

My friend also said that it might be worth getting a AA vehicle inspection at £130 but im not sure whether this CTR needs it as it has done very low mileage considering its age.
L33 LEG
Banned

25th Jul 04 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u should always view the car before u buy it. just phone the guy and say that i will buy it there and then after the test drive. with a 2 year old car i dont think u need an AA inspection, but id definetly consider a HPI check.
Happy_2008

25th Jul 04 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does HPI stand for?? is that the AA data check thing?

The reason im thinking there could be problems with the car is that the CTR is on a 02 plate with only 9,400 miles on the clock.

Do you suggest that i say to this person that i will buy it prior to inspection??? but how would i go about on the test drive because i wouldnt be insured on it then! I need to buy my own policy at the same time so i realli confused
L33 LEG
Banned

25th Jul 04 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if ur on ur dads insurance, could he not go with you and test drive it. that is pretty low mileage for a 02 plate, but isnt that unusual.

HPI is just to check the cars history, like if its still on finance or if its been stolen recovered and things like that. costs £35 i think or something like that.

but yes, tell the guy that you will definetly buy the car if u are happy with it after inspection
Happy_2008

25th Jul 04 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah i a gonna go on my own insurance so i dont know what to do about the test drive. Insurance is gonna cost me £1527 @ 0 ncb. So do you think the mileage is ok? he said the car is in top condition except for a minor scratch on front bumper and one alloy wheel is a little scuffed.
L33 LEG
Banned

25th Jul 04 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mileage can be okay yes, but u never know with 2nd hand cars. personally, it wouldnt bother me. im not sure about insurance, will he not know?
leeshez

25th Jul 04 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would first go and view the car with your dad and them ask him if he would take you to a quiet location I.E a industrial estate or supermarket which is empty and ask him if you can give it a test drive. If he is a decent person he should allow this. Don,t say you will buy untill you have drove it or he will thing that ur a kid dreaming and that will piss him off.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Help on buying 2nd hand cars! 23 database queries in 0.0115020 seconds