corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My System :| (XP/PC help)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My System :| (XP/PC help)
Pablo

User status: Offline
25th Jul 04 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right wen i 1st got my pc was P4 1500, 256mb and 40GB,32mb Graphics, ATi card, CD

Now got

384mb Ram, same processor, 120GB and 160GB, PCi USB2 card (as only had USB1 on board) , 128mb Graphics, DVD writter, DVD rom... Alsorts USB shit modem etc...

The system is slow loading XP takes ages, black screen then bput 20seconds later the XP loading screen appears :s why so long? Used to be near nuf instant

Andrew

25th Jul 04 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your registry will be full of crap. Format c:
Pablo

25th Jul 04 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope! I have norton doctor tidys all that stuff up

Its like the hard disk dont start up for a while or its trying to decide wot the device is, could it b that i have 2 hard disk and 2 dvd/ dvdrw that takes a while ??
Andrew

25th Jul 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you disabled the quick boot in your bios or got a virus scanner running via the bios? It could be one of those or even both.

It sounds like it's windows to me tho. If you have got a spare HD -- bung that in and install a fresh cpy of win xp on it and see if it haps

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Jul 04 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont you have a MCSE paul?
Pablo

25th Jul 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gettin there not in XP tho Windows/Server 2000
Richie

25th Jul 04 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ur working off old material then, you should be doing Windows Server 2003 if ur doing an MCSE, Windows Server 2003 uses XP as clients
Pablo

25th Jul 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2003 wasn't out wen I did my 2000 courses
Adam

25th Jul 04 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel don't make a 1.5 P4
Pablo

25th Jul 04 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

25th Jul 04 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nut is right, your system will be full of shite with loads of components (dll) loading up and the registry booting up loads of software on startup.
Best bet, get hold of an old copy of RegCleaner by jv16.org (if you cant find a copy, gimme a shout and ill msn it or something to you)...go through all the options and set it to highest level of cleaning and then run it.
After that, go into the startup section and delete anything that you dont need

Also, defrag your HD as often as possible. I usually do my atleast once a month, usually more though. And again run the disk cleanup program.
Also, dont get your A-V to do a boot test or run a virus scan at the startup of windows, will just slow the shites out of it
Nath

25th Jul 04 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P4UL

Adam
Pablo

25th Jul 04 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
Nut is right, your system will be full of shite with loads of components (dll) loading up and the registry booting up loads of software on startup.
Best bet, get hold of an old copy of RegCleaner by jv16.org (if you cant find a copy, gimme a shout and ill msn it or something to you)...go through all the options and set it to highest level of cleaning and then run it.
After that, go into the startup section and delete anything that you dont need

Also, defrag your HD as often as possible. I usually do my atleast once a month, usually more though. And again run the disk cleanup program.
Also, dont get your A-V to do a boot test or run a virus scan at the startup of windows, will just slow the shites out of it
MSN that stuff then mate

My system defrags alternate drives every other day at 9am wen im at work
Dom

25th Jul 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if you have only got msn to start and it defrags, then check that your AV doesnt do a boot scan, if so disable that and give it a go.
Also delete any programs that you dont use etc and have a look in the reg for what components is loaded at startup, also go into the admin folder under control panel and a butchers in the services and disable shite like telnet service and other stuff that should be running (ive disabled lots of stuff because of this...and it helps quite abit )

apart from that mate, cant think of anything. Check the system logs and see if there is a system problem with loading a driver etc and do the same under the app logs and see if something is fooking up on startup
Adam

25th Jul 04 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bad

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/29235/
Andrew

25th Jul 04 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a PIII 1 gig with 256 PC-100 RAM laptop and that runs really slow compared with my desktop with an Athlon 2000+ XP and 1024 DDR 400 RAM. Both running XP Pro at the mo but i'm always messing around with them

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My System :| (XP/PC help) 23 database queries in 0.1263809 seconds