corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rebuilding/Cleaning a cylinder head

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rebuilding/Cleaning a cylinder head
Rileysport

User status: Offline
   6th Aug 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the top off my 2.0 litre project lump, what should i be looking for to clean and how to clean it, what should i be replacing (except for gaskets).. to me it all looks quite good and clean, no scoring or marking on cam followers or cam etc.

Cheers

Andy
Greasemonkey

6th Aug 04 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

change the oil stem seals cos if these have had it they will cause the enine to smoke badly on gear change and at high rmp
Rileysport

6th Aug 04 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers monkey... anymore?
Greasemonkey

6th Aug 04 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the head has hydraulic valve lifters then change these too, these are what cause that horrible taptap sound ya get on old engines, the new ones will make for a quiet engine and they make a swish sound as the cam lobes pass over them lol
Greasemonkey

6th Aug 04 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

while ya got the valves out put them into an electric drill and spin them slowly, look out for wobble as this shows up bent valves which will need replacing, i would relap the valves if they are ok and have a good look for worn valve guides, look for scoring cracks and give between guide and valve stem
You might even consider getting a bit of wet and dry and smoothing the inlet and exhaust ports to aid smoother air flow into the engine, best left to experts though

[Edited on 06-08-2004 by Greasemonkey]
Greasemonkey

6th Aug 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck it for the price of about 99p each change the valve springs too
Rileysport

6th Aug 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matey, it sounded and drove ok in the calibra it came from, but pays to do it whilst outa the car... bargain for 41 quid with the box anyway... got budget left to refurb it, thanks again

Andy

New Poll