corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » raspy custom exhaust

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author raspy custom exhaust
DJ Compassion

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 04 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had a custom exhaust made for my corsa sport...

i got a peice of lightweith flex pipe fitted it to the down pipe, then it goes through a cat (which is completly empty :thumbs, then the pipe goes straight to the rear scorpion back box.

sounds sweet as a nut, real deep bass sound, but when it gets to 3000 revs it gets raspy, my mate reved it and i went down under for a looky, it sounded like it was coming from the backbox where the pipe it fixted to it or just inside the box. anyone know what this could be, its not a bad thing at all it actually sounds quite nice but id like to know whats causing it.

i will take some pics of it tomorrow

gaz
blundey

23rd Sep 04 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welded?
Cybermonkey

23rd Sep 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why the empty cat???
Corsa^Dan

23rd Sep 04 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i theory it has 1 :/ sorta

itll still fail emmisions tho
kortas

25th Sep 04 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if the police go under they see the cat they leave u alone, but for mot your still going to need an ACTUAL cat, personaly i dont see any advantage of removing it on anything lower than a 1.6
Kris TD

25th Sep 04 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removing the cat is renound for making it sound raspy.
broster
Premium Member

25th Sep 04 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removing the cat by bashing the inside out will make the exhaust flow really shit and therefore you shalll loose performance
kortas

25th Sep 04 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best fake cat ive seen so far, is a straight through exhaust with half a cat spot welded onto the exhaust, thought it was quite comical
MoNkEy MaGiC

25th Sep 04 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Compassion
just had a custom exhaust made for my corsa sport...
i got a peice of lightweith flex pipe fitted it to the down pipe, then it goes through a cat (which is completly empty :thumbs, then the pipe goes straight to the rear scorpion back box.
sounds sweet as a nut, real deep bass sound, but when it gets to 3000 revs it gets raspy, my mate reved it and i went down under for a looky, it sounded like it was coming from the backbox where the pipe it fixted to it or just inside the box. anyone know what this could be, its not a bad thing at all it actually sounds quite nice but id like to know whats causing it.
i will take some pics of it tomorrow
gaz

i would like to see the pics mate as im getting a very similar system to yours on my 1.6 16v Gsi, i got a scorpion back box at the moment and want a full thru system to make it louder.
i guess one way to avoid the police doing you for no cat is to lower your car Very low like 70mm! then they wont even be able to look under it!
well if the raspyness sounds good then i guess its ok, but its probably coz you got no cat, but if you say its from the backbox it could be a dodgy weild/connection!
mentalasanything

25th Sep 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a stainless steel cat back exhaust and de-cat pipe and mine sounds a bit raspy when accellerating hard-ish, sounds bloody good all other times too. I found that after a long journey (80miles+) the raspyness practically dissapears and is only on v hard accell. Dnt bother me too much tho as you hardly hear it outside, my sound comes from cat area tho
ado

25th Sep 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an how often do ya get the police lookin under ya car? Like never!!!
DJ Compassion

26th Sep 04 at 04:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah ive found out for sure, its the cat removal that makes the raspyness, its not a bad thing, in fact it sounds great, and as for loosing performance, lol. i thnk not, lets put it this way theres a road at the back on my house and i used to get to about 74mph on it before i had to break, the day i had it done i got about 88mph on it.

cats restrict your power, therefore removing one gives you a bit more.

as for mots, simple... jus undo one clamp and put old exuast system back on, no failed mots

my mate saw a flame come out as well today whilst i was showing him it, lmao
MoNkEy MaGiC

26th Sep 04 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so it is the cat that causes the raspyness
well as long as it dont sound farty/backfiring!

would their be more rasp on a 1.6 16v engine in comparison to a 1.4 16v???
C18RSA

26th Sep 04 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had that problem,
firstly i HAD A SCORPION imola backbox with straight through 2.5 inch pipe and the scorpion de cat pipe which actually looks similar to a cat itself.

sounded okay.
I then decided to remove the middle box to give me a deeper tone. That sounded awesome until my baffles broke in my back box.

I got a single custom 5inch slash stainless steel box and then the raspyness arrived. didnt sound too bad but u couldnt here urself think inside the car.

I have now had a mitsibusi evolution centre box fitted to my system and another 5inch slash stainless box fitted the other side and christ it sounds fookin awesome.

I have
ed

26th Sep 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to have a silencer instead of an empty CAT.

New Poll