corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wat the...?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wat the...?
Smick

User status: Offline
26th Oct 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hows it goin guys.

Jus off the phone to my insurance company there (N Union), was wanting to know if fitting 40mm lowering springs would effect my premium, and to my surprise they say that its not a problem to make this modification and it will not cost me any extra! Well pleased!

I phoned up a few months back wanting to put on 16" Kosei RG's and they quoted me an extra £2000 on top of my premium. (I live in N Ireland so my insurance is already high) Thats just takin the pi$$ but.

How the feck can they not charge for suspension but charge me £2k for a set of wheels worth £200 odd !??

Does anyone know how they come up with the figures?

oh, and anyone got a set of springs in good nick they fancy sellin me?
ed

26th Oct 04 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, tried threatening them? They will just take advantage of people to get money out of them, if you say, 'in fact, i'll go with xxx as they only charge £y extra for alloys' They will hopefully 'speak to thier supervisor'... Try playing one off against another... Takes time, but it will save you money.
Smick

26th Oct 04 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I'll prob try that after I get the springs fitted.

The car just has the standard 14's on it at the moment, so it will look good for a few weeks or so when I get it lowered, till I get bored of it and need to do something else!

Do you think it will make a noticable difference to the handling lowering by 40mm?
ed

26th Oct 04 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, less body roll so you can corner faster. It is a definate improvement ofer the standard set up. Wait til you get the low profiles on your alloys though - that will complete the set up till you need more
Paul H

26th Oct 04 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

argh but what nu don't tell you is your only allowed 3 mods in total.i got around this in the end
Smick

26th Oct 04 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was toying with the idea of goin to -60mm but I read another post there, cant remeber who it was by. They had lowered their corsa by 60mm on standard shocks, said it wasnt a problem.

But another member said it may not be 100% that the standard shocks could take it. I dont wana be drivin down the motorway and end up in a field or something!

Can you offer any advice on this?

3 mods only, wats that about? never said nethin like that 2 me....

[Edited on 26-10-2004 by Smick]
ed

26th Oct 04 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should use shorter shocks designed for -60mm springs becuase you will put more stress on the standard units as they will be forced to operate within limits that they were not designed to. Even a -40mm drop isn't too good on the parts, but -60mm is pushing it. You should always try and use appropriate shocks and springs if possible
Paul H

26th Oct 04 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never said anything to me either till i tried to add 4 mods and then they tell you
GLSi GUY

26th Oct 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pluss with standard shocks the ride is bouncy as fook
Smick

26th Oct 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have thought it would have been less bouncy as the springs were shorter, meaning stiffer suspension? I guess thats not the way it works then I understand that u can feel the bumps on the road alot more.

So im safe enough with 40mm on standard shocks? Do uz reccon it will b noticably lower? I was intending goin for GMax springs, seem to be the most popular. Has anyone encountered any problems with these springs or can u lot reccomend if any are particularly better than the rest?

Cheers for the replies lads
Smick

26th Oct 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chewy >> What mods do you have that you have informed NU? How much of a difference has it made in price? Just I would love to get a haf decent set of wheels on but dont want to fork out loads as a result.
Red_SXi

26th Oct 04 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them you're adding a Vauxhall styling pack, which comprises of a few things including wheels, suspension, lowering, bodykit etc
andy hirst

26th Oct 04 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was charged 64quid for a back box, so i complained and got a refund. the charges are bollox.
Smick

26th Oct 04 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is just legalised crime IMO, take money off you for nothing. I cant really see how a backbox is really gonna make that much difference to the performance / safety etc of a car. Fair enuf alloy wheels are more likely to get nicked, but come on, the whole thing is a joke really.
StuartGee

27th Oct 04 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I would have thought it would have been less bouncy as the springs were shorter, meaning stiffer suspension?

Nope, 'fraid not! I had corsa lowered on -40mm springs, standard Sport shocks, and it was a terrible ride!
Problem is this: You're springs and shocks are optimised to work together. If you look at the two parts seperately, and what they do, your shocks bounce and roll the car about, keeping it smooth going over bumps etc. Your springs are there to stop the car from constantly bouncing, hard springs give little bounce, soft springs will let the body roll more and give a comfortable ride.
Uprated shocks are shorter than standard, taking advantage of the shorter spring.
Put differently, you will be putting a shorter harder spring on a longer "bouncier" shock absorber. It's not a good combo, trust me, I have done it using Sport shocks, which are slightly shorter than other Corsas, and it was woeful!
Oh, and you put extra strain on the standard units and will prob have to replace them anyway within 6 months!!

Hope this makes sense! If not, do a search in Help & Modification, there's bound to be plenty out there that explain it better than me!

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by StuartGee]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wat the...? 23 database queries in 0.0139899 seconds