corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 150 miles from home and car is playing up!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 150 miles from home and car is playing up!!!
Matt_Pantz

User status: Offline
   29th Oct 04 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I have a 96 corsa sport (X14XE), as i was coming up from suffolk to staffordshire today, i pulled out of a service station, and the speedo no londer worked (assumed the cable had snapped, great!), then about 10 miles up the road the ECU light comes on, fantastic i thought! anything else want to go wrong?!!, as i coasted to a halt for a traffic queue, the engine died, woohoo!, turned the key off and restarted and all was fine again, at this point i was starting to get a little panicy as the next stage of the journey was on the M6. managed to nurse the car my destination at a steady pace (70ish, can't be sure didn't have a speedo ).
have just done the paperclip test and it's revealed a vehicle speed sensor fault, which makes sense, but is the sensor on the cable or something? is there a way i can bodge round said sensor to get me home without the thing cutting out everytime i stop? how easy is the speedo cable to change?
Sorry for the long post,
Cheers,
Matt

[Edited on 29-10-2004 by Matt_Pantz]
Darren

29th Oct 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ECU light is one coz of the snapped cable. Theres no way around this is the sensor is in the dash. Not difficult to fix new one, just bit cramped
Matt_Pantz

29th Oct 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, thought this maybe the case, seems a pretty stupid place to have the sensor, never mind eh! so is the car ok to drive distance then? the lack of this sensor input won't have any other disastorous effects to the car other than the stalling?

Matt_Pantz

29th Oct 04 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One other thing thats just sprung to mind, anyone know what speed i'll be doing in relation to revs/gear? i know that 4 grand in 5th is just over 80, but thats not a lot of use for a 30 zone! cheers for your help

Matt
Darren

29th Oct 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Pantz
Cheers mate, thought this maybe the case, seems a pretty stupid place to have the sensor, never mind eh! so is the car ok to drive distance then? the lack of this sensor input won't have any other disastorous effects to the car other than the stalling?

Dont think so, i drove mine for quite a while lol
Darren

29th Oct 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Pantz
One other thing thats just sprung to mind, anyone know what speed i'll be doing in relation to revs/gear? i know that 4 grand in 5th is just over 80, but thats not a lot of use for a 30 zone! cheers for your help

Matt

in 4th - 1.5ish is 30

(i think)
Stoneojuggalo

30th Oct 04 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not necasarily the cable, could be ur ciggy lighter fuse which is also connected to ur speedo. Check that b4 u do anything, then report back.
Adam-D

30th Oct 04 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was gonna say check the fuses
Darren

30th Oct 04 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

his car is pre-facelift and therefore has a speedo cable, no fuses are linked with it unlike the face lift models
Matt_Pantz

30th Oct 04 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All sorted now, cable had gone about 3 inches up from the gearbox, luckily the nearest dealer had a cable in stock, got it for £26, bit of a dog to fit but i managed to blag the help of a local mechanic and his work area which made life easier,

thanks for your help guys

Matt

New Poll