corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help With Vectra 2.0 16v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help With Vectra 2.0 16v
Jonster

User status: Offline
11th Dec 04 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad's Vectra 2.0 16v has a problem that we can't figure out

Basically the car's fine when running from cold, or when driving around at revs, but when at idle at normal temp the car seems to splutter, the revs drop, then it cuts out

It has now started to do this when driving at low speed (like when parking etc)

We recently changed the rocker cover gasket as there was oil in the spark plug holes (and all over the block), he's also got new plugs and leads. There's no oil on the plugs now so the rocker cover gasket must be ok now

He's going to book it into Vaux but as they charge £££, anyone got any ideas?

I thought it could be the ICV? Car's a '98 R Reg 2.0 16v CD if it makes any difference

ps. The engine management light isn't coming on
Kerry

11th Dec 04 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possible EGR valve and you can test this by disconnecting it (just a plug) and driving the car to see if its any better. the engine management light will come on but its ok, i drove my vectra with it disconnected for about 6 months if not more
X 60RSA

11th Dec 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old man used to have the facelift Vectra SRi 130, think the came out on a T plate. The Ecotec in them are renowned for engine management lights coming on. His used to cut out alot, sometimes around a bend, loosing all power steering which was a bit scary at times, takes you by surprise.

I'm not sure what vauxhall did, but thats where he took it, common problem on the veccies i believe!

CAR MECHANICS MAG INFO:>>>>>

One of the most common problems affecting these engines is stalling.
most usually the owner will complain that the engine is cutting out approaching junctions, particularly when hot.
The solution is a number of modifications, all of which are geared to reducing the amount of oil contamination
affecting the engine and in particular, the idle control valve. the first is the fitting of a breather box.
this component(part no. 9201848) is designed essentially as a filter to remove the undesirable oil and carbon particles
which find their way up from the sump and into the rocker cover. from here of course they get sucked into the idle
control valve, where the fun really starts. The box costs around £10 and is simply fitted into the front breather
hose. after this you must check and possibly replace the idle control valve itself. An improved version was introduced by
vauxhall and is simply denoted py the prescence of an "x" at the end of the part number. the number is stamped on the end
of the component so you`ll need to remove it to have a look. if the x is not there then the component must be replaced,
so the owner of the car wont be pleased because new ones cost about £160! if you find that the modified one has been
fitted then your next suspicion should be that the components performance has been inhibited by contamination
within. youll need to remove it so it can be thouroughly cleaned, and its advised that you use very aggressive carb
cleaner if its going to have any effect. Next clean out the throttle body with carbourettor cleaer and a toothbrush,
frequently cleaning out with a clean cloth. take your time and do this right. The basic throttle plate setting should
be raised as well. ideally this should be done using the voltage output from the throttle position sensor as a guide,
but, if you havent got the equiptment or time to adopt this textbook approach a more immediate solution involves
opening up the base idle control and screwing by one complete turn( with engine off) this normally this brings idle
performance up usefully, but if this causes tickover to sit above 800 rpm youve overdone it. back it off half a
turn and it should be fine. another potential problem that can contribute to this fault is breather pipe blockage
there are a number of importat tubes running into the throttle body and inlet manifold and all are susceptible
to contamination. one in particular, which attaches to the back of the throttle body via a brass fitting suffers
badly. its often the fitting itself that gets clogged. blow all tubes clear with an airline having disconnected
both ends first. it also can help to remove rocker cover and remove all traces of crap, then flush engine and fit
a new filter and good oil. (by the way, shell at carmondean in livingston are doing mobil 1 for £10 for 4l! i cant
get it at double that trade!) The final action if all this fails is to take it to a dealer and have software update
. because the frequency of updates eans that older cars can be running software thats been supursceded many times
, consulting dealer is the only way to get this this checked and rectified, and its only £35.
the other common fault is intermittant power loss caused by either a duff camshaft or crankshaft sensor.

[Edited on 11-12-2004 by X 60RSA]

New Poll