corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I'm after a new but cheap computer ......HELP !!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I'm after a new but cheap computer ......HELP !!!
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Jan 05 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the title said really, i'm after a new computer cos i don't like my laptop much anymore cos its too slow. I want plenty of disk space and it must have the ability to play games to a decent standard. I've got a desktop case lying around somewhere so could use that, but what spec of stuff do i put inside ???

Any help appreciated

Soz for being a little off topic, but u lot seem to know your stuff, so thought i'd try here first !!

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is at an atx case cus if not your gonna need one of those too!

have a butchers on http://www.overclockers.co.uk for relativly good prices on parts
PaulW

6th Jan 05 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also...

http://www.overclock.co.uk
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, i'll have a butchers. As for the case, it ain't a tower type case, its the other type (if u know what i mean)

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but does it support an atx motherboard, how old is the case?
vibrio
Banned

6th Jan 05 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look on ebuyer. can get a cheap system (no software) for around £400-500 which will be powerfull
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me dad bought it from work a couple of years ago. I'd a thought it would take an ATX board. I'll ask him when he gets home. Think its already got a psu in it so thats one thing sorted already.

What sort of processor should i look at ?? AMD, Intel ?? Cos i've had an AMD in both the family computer and my laptop and they seem good, but don't half let some heat out, especially in my laptop !! I want something that will not go out of date in a week !!

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on preference i prefer Intels P4's as i dont trust the AMD instruction sets fully for compatability and reliablility but up to u
James_DT

6th Jan 05 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel processors also produce less heat.
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a gander and so far i've come up with :

Processor
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=1581&category_id=249&manufacturer_id=0
Mainboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=1913&category_id=251&manufacturer_id=0#

What graphics card can this board accept ?? AGP or PCI ??

Sorry about all the questions, but i'm not overly clue'd up on specs etc.

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agp you bufoon unless your talking about pci express in which go for that
Rob B

6th Jan 05 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i built a custom pc cheapest place is http://www.scan.co.uk
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
agp you bufoon unless your talking about pci express in which go for that

I don't know, thats why i asked !!

Mase
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which PCI express graphics card would u go for then ??? bout £80 budget, maybe push it up to £100

Mase
John

6th Jan 05 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're going down the PCI-E route thats AMD 32 bit out the windows. No boards to support PCI-E. And Steve, when have you had any sort of compatability problem with the instruction sets on an AMD chip?
Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x8john
If you're going down the PCI-E route thats AMD 32 bit out the windows. No boards to support PCI-E. And Steve, when have you had any sort of compatability problem with the instruction sets on an AMD chip?

what ?? I've noticed there ain't many PCI-E cards about, so should i go AMD then ??

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x8john

SIMS software for a start off
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and i dont mean the sims the game either
MarkW

6th Jan 05 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
depends on preference i prefer Intels P4's as i dont trust the AMD instruction sets fully for compatability and reliablility but up to u

what are these
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 05 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the commands and logic gates the processor uses to process binary data

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I'm after a new but cheap computer ......HELP !!! 24 database queries in 0.0173120 seconds