corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which broadband?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author which broadband?
MikeLamb

User status: Offline
25th Jan 05 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be dedicated to a single webserver? so fastest upload speed with a static ip!

cheers!
Cavey

25th Jan 05 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.adslguide.org

[Edited on 25-01-2005 by Cavey]
MikeLamb

25th Jan 05 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i looked there, looked pretty basic
Dom

25th Jan 05 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeLamb
i looked there, looked pretty basic

they list loads and loads of of ISPs

however, if its just for a webserver, surely getting some dedicated hosting would be better? - maybe your own box, or go co-location if you've got the cash. Its just that your gonna have to get a business account as not many homeuser packages offer decent uploads, plus your bound to get found out if its using alot of bandwidth.
Other than that, onlything you could do is get a lease line installed, but a 128k lease line (128k in both directions etc) is around a grand a month (roughly), so you get the idea on how expensive its gonna be. And for that you can go co-location or get a dedicated box for a year
MikeLamb

25th Jan 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a dedicated box at the mo, the service from the host is terrible, the other prob is that its a pain in the arse to backup, (i have 5gigs of users photos on there)

ive found a few that do 512kb upload speeds and i have could easily build a linux box, was just an idea i was considering
Jodi_the_g

25th Jan 05 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broadband will be pretty usless, as most have high downloading speed but crap uplaoding.
Jodi_the_g

25th Jan 05 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i have a dedicated box at the mo, the service from the host is terrible, the other prob is that its a pain in the arse to backup, (i have 5gigs of users photos on there)

ive found a few that do 512kb upload speeds and i have could easily build a linux box, was just an idea i was considering

5 gb is nothing nowdays just get co-hosting will get it for less than £50 a month.
Tim
Site Administrator

25th Jan 05 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most ADSL providers will give a maximum of 256kbps upload... crap for hosting...

Leased lines aren't quite that expensive anymore, but completely pointless to spend that much when you could rent a dedicated server in a decent datacentre(rather than your house which I'd imagine doesn't have UPS's, generators, multiple net connections, etc, etc, etc)...

What kind of website is it that you really want to run it from home? You'd do much better to buy hosting elsewhere...
Dom

25th Jan 05 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is your host will have a 100mb line to use mate and a 512k upload will get maxed out pretty quick mate - esepecially if your using it for photos/graphics etc etc

tbh mate, have a butchers at www.i-websolutions.co.uk...they offer a number of packages and me and drew both use them here, and there Custom service is brilliant and although there only small, they do offer a good range of packages and if you email them they will also sort out other packages etc etc
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jan 05 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't host at home personally.

Co-lo may be a little expensive, if its mainly high bandwidth but not particularly computationally intense there's no reason why you can't share a server.
Tim
Site Administrator

25th Jan 05 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Any good host will provide a backup service for you -- why not shop around for a decent hosting provider

Who are you with at the moment, and why does the site require a dedicated machine (custom apps?)?
MikeLamb

25th Jan 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.sniffglue.net basically a forum and galleries and email for all users, there are only 70 odd members but they all live locally! Spending more on a dedicated box is prob a good idea, im currently with www.ipower.com

[Edited on 25-01-2005 by MikeLamb]
MikeLamb

25th Jan 05 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all shared servers ive been on have been slow so far mabye i should look around and find something shared but better!
Tim
Site Administrator

25th Jan 05 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hostway.co.uk/
http://www.easynet.co.uk/
http://www.rackspace.co.uk/
http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/ (I know some people say they have a bad rep, but I think that was in the past -- pretty good service really and quick)
Jodi_the_g

25th Jan 05 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but they will not be as lsow as 512k when 10 users are on line
MikeLamb

25th Jan 05 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sure cheers, ill take a look at those tim!
Tim
Site Administrator

25th Jan 05 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and http://www.memset.com <-- they do some unmetered dedicated servers which are just capped at 2Mbps, 5Mbps, or 10Mbps depending on how much you wanna pay... smallish company too and very helpful
Jodi_the_g

25th Jan 05 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
oh and http://www.memset.com <-- they do some unmetered dedicated servers which are just capped at 2Mbps, 5Mbps, or 10Mbps depending on how much you wanna pay... smallish company too and very helpful

And offer great customer service

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which broadband? 23 database queries in 0.0114760 seconds