corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internet Shopping V's High Street Shopping.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Internet Shopping V's High Street Shopping.
Tiger

User status: Offline
6th Nov 05 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many years do you think it will be as trends continue before the High Street will no longer be the main place to shop? It seems that most of the people I see shopping on the street now are between 50 and Old so maybe when our generation (lets assume most of us on here are between 18-25) reaches 40/50 yrs old there wont be a highstreet anymore - just internet shopping - which leads me to the next question, if the high street isnt full of shops anymore, what will it be full of?

Ben.
Robbo

6th Nov 05 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting question... give it 30 years or so and they may be dieing off :S I buy most stuff on inet :S

Can order a dvd on play in literally 30 seconds
Nath

6th Nov 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm impatient though so feel the need to actually go to a shop so I can come home with the purchase.
Tiger

6th Nov 05 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently year Xmas 2004 21 million people shopped for their christmas pressies online - Im sure I read that that figure had risen by 64% this year (estimated) It doesnt look like it will even be 10 years til the high street has gone.....
Bennn

6th Nov 05 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on many variables like broadband access, culture, adaption, local contact, payment / delivery issues, promotion, extension of distribution networks, middlemen services, line breadth, costs and margins,channel issues
There are 6 types of online shoppers (shopping avoiders/necessity users/new technologists/time starved/responsibles ansd traditional shoppers) blah blah blah i'm boring mself now....
I know this as i'm currently studying an MIMA (Ma) with focus on International Marketing - didnt think id have to use this on corsasport
Tiger

6th Nov 05 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok - as things are at the minute then - with an increase of 60% a year for internet sales - how long will it last?
Bennn

6th Nov 05 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

retailers have been aware of the shift for a while so much so that firms as large as P&G are considering shifting 80% of advertising budget to the internet. Internet advertising is the most important advertising media in history.
In terms of how long - impossible to say and will vary from market to market but even in 1997 70%+ of internet users had shopped on the web. By 2007 114 million users will shop on line in Europe. There is little evidence that they will not use traditional high street stores.
Tiger

6th Nov 05 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its come a long way though since the first online transaction which was only back in 1994 (a Sting CD) and just 11 years on from then there is around 30 million people just doing their Xmas shopping! In that figure too you have to take into account that there is a percentage of the population that are either too young or too old or for other reasons dont use the internet. 30 million people is a large portion of people able to use the internet.

Bennn

6th Nov 05 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 14% of british households have broadband which is far behind many countries (and works out at 8.5 million people approx) but as you say it is growing. I realise you dont need broadband to purchase on line but it helps
As in my earlier post there are many variables to take into consideration. The high street will suffer but people still demand a tangible service

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internet Shopping V's High Street Shopping. 23 database queries in 0.0138500 seconds