corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » wots the differnece ....... (turbo boys in here)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wots the differnece ....... (turbo boys in here)
N90ATH

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 05 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

between a charge cooler and an intercooler?

which is better to use or could u use both at the same time?

any info would be great peeps

cheers nath
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can use both at the same time yes. chargecooler is good when you have confined spaces, it uses water to cool the charge temps, where an intercooler uses air, generall ythe intercooler is the better option.
CorsAsh

23rd Nov 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Charge cooler becomes less effective over time when driving hard too as the coolant heats up if I'm not mistaken, whereas an IC, especially an FMIC will maintain a constant colder temperature due to constant flow of cool air over it.
3CorsaMeal

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=203639
JKGSI

I've heard that chargecoolers are more efficiant but like broster said they cool the air by water so you need a water supply to it. Good if you haven't got space in the bumper for an Intercooler.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chargecooler can be mounted pretty much anywhere. Intercooler has to be mounted in air stream
Nismo

Alot of people with Jap cars are moving over to Charge coolers as they are finding better results with them , however they have a life expectency which isnt allot about 1000 hours or so i belive.
N90ATH

23rd Nov 05 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm, which would be the best if i was to do a proper 1.6 turbo conversion. i mean a full rebuild bith lower compression pistons, forged conrods etc etc
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the charge cooler you need a seperate radiator aswell really to keep the fluid temps down.

[Edited on 23-11-2005 by broster]
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath1985
hmmm, which would be the best if i was to do a proper 1.6 turbo conversion. i mean a full rebuild bith lower compression pistons, forged conrods etc etc

intercooler, there is space for one so may aswell.
N90ATH

23rd Nov 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

klkl so intercooler would be best, wot would i need to get a reliable (ish lol) turbo 1.6 when i carry out a rebuild?
CorsAsh

23rd Nov 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mmmm, chargecooler *homer drooling noise*
Stu

23rd Nov 05 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant really beat a well mounted intercooler to be honest! Theres loads more to go wrong with a chargecooler as well!
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath1985
klkl so intercooler would be best, wot would i need to get a reliable (ish lol) turbo 1.6 when i carry out a rebuild?

forged low comp pistons, rods, intercooler, manzel style inlet, proper management to map it properly. should do well.
Ditch

23rd Nov 05 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JKGSI
I've heard that chargecoolers are more efficiant but like broster said they cool the air by water so you need a water supply to it. Good if you haven't got space in the bumper for an Intercooler.

still need space in the bumper for a Rad though
vibrio
Banned

23rd Nov 05 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

charge cooler more efficient because water has a higher thermal absortion rate. downside is that once heated up it takes longer to cool and is more complicated than a intercooler
N90ATH

23rd Nov 05 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm so would something like a lexamaulor diblas do for the inlet as i can get everything else

intercooler def sounding better option though
CorsAsh

23rd Nov 05 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
charge cooler more efficient because water has a higher thermal absortion rate. downside is that once heated up it takes longer to cool and is more complicated than a intercooler

This is what I was trying to get across, knew there was something about the time taken to cool down or something
Ditch

23rd Nov 05 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

air to air coolers are only good when they are mounted in direct cool airflow.

water to air coolers (charge cooler) can be mounted close to the turbo and inlet thus reducing lag times, but still efficient as the radiator cooling the water can be some distance from the engine.

ie. most of the MR2 turbo chaps are using charge coolers as the cooler can stay close to the engine and the rad can go up the front of the car.
Ditch

23rd Nov 05 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio

This is where a bucket of ice around the charge cooler reservoir is useful

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » wots the differnece ....... (turbo boys in here) 23 database queries in 0.0388501 seconds