corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » steering problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author steering problem
scouse_corsa

User status: Offline
13th Jan 06 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ever since i put my alloys on, whenever i go over the slightest raise in the road (e.g. the white lines in the middle) the steering tend to turn away from it. it doesnt bother me that much but i'm just wondering what could be causing it to do this and is there any way of solving it

cheers
royvious

13th Jan 06 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had the corsa for years and it has been tracked up at different garages last year. Its never been right because it is really low and has coilovers on the front. Car was last tracked at kwick fit 3 months ago. I went down to a place called loudwater tyres 01494 463123 and there Hunter laser aligner tracked up the car superbly. The machine does camber and toe on each wheel and caster on front wheels. Thrust angle on rear and steer ahead on front are also displayed. The rear of the car was just out of spec due to the 15inch wheels, lowerd spring shox, and the fact she is low but the front of the car the readings were correctable.
The car has been handling like adream and the best it has ever been in the time it has been modified. MPG has gone up by 30miles on a fuel tank with £15 in and i am literally driving the thing like its stolen.
Even if you think youre tracking is fine it probably isn't and you cant go wrong when it is done on one of these machines.
The guys were first class and the workshop was one of the finest i've seen. The Technician said the hunter machine cost £14000.
Its up to you. Have youre car aligned on a 1 angle £500 machine at quick fit or on a £14000 state of the art 12 angle machine for a few quid more. Click on link to find youre local hunter tracker and for more info on the device!

http://www.pro-align.co.uk/amc/wheelalignment.htm

Loudwater tyres are just off the m40, Exit After High Wycombe or just before depending on what end your coming from and it was worth the travel to have the car adjusted correctly!

Got to Big Up the crew down loudwater tyres for hookin me up

[Edited on 22-01-2006 by royvious]
Toby
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sort of price are you alking for tracking and everything??
royvious

14th Jan 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£35 plus vat with before and after print out! A must for the lowered!
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Jan 06 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im getting mine done on one of these machines tomoro

Im still pissed off though as i got new tyres 2 months ago and got the tracking done at the same time for an extra £20 but i noticed when cleaning my car today that they are like new on the outside and very worn on the inside so somebody didnt do their job right or probably didnt even bother

[Edited on 14-01-2006 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
royvious

14th Jan 06 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The normal machine gives 1 angle and the hunter 12, you work it out
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Jan 06 at 01:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by royvious
I have had the corsa for years...
Duplicate post removed.

What exactly do they adjust? Standard Corsa is adjustable for toe only. Please also bear in mind that trade adverts should be placed via the appropriate channels.
gavin18787
Premium Member

15th Jan 06 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the results on mine today 10 degrees out each side

No wander it was wondering about lots and scubbing the inner edges of the tyres

But considering i got it done 2 months before this after i had fitted my suspension kit im presuming they didnt do it or did it very badly

this place was a lot more helpfull though got to watch them do it and ive got a free check and adjust if it needs it in 500-1000 miles

all in all the car now drives loads better doesnt wonder anymore and seems to have better traction and overall grip. only downer is that the steerings heavier but thats probably just because the whole tyre is now making proper contact with the road

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ant

15th Jan 06 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder if a place like this could cope with the setting up of the dreaded.........

FK coilovers
royvious

22nd Jan 06 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the Mot it was noticed i had some play on the track rod end so i replaced the pair and took it back down to the guys at loudwater tyres. They retracked my corsa and it is spot on to drive once again. Cant thank the guys enough and the printouts are so helpful before and after the car was tracked. I hate it when the car is going straight and steering wheel is off centre.
When the GTE comes back from body shop its getting the Huter Pro Alignment treatment!
Joe

22nd Jan 06 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Along with Ian would like to know what they adjust, Corsas only have toe-in toe-out adjustment other than that its all fixed. Fair enough it can tell you if your rear wheels are cock-eyed or your camber is out but you cant do anything about it. Nothing that you cant adjust with a set of manual gauges anyway
royvious

22nd Jan 06 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am not advertising but just letting corsasport users in on some good sound information. It is not very nice having to pay good money for poor alignment. This is the only way to have a car tracked and sort handling out. I'm Sorry if it seems i have been advertising but really i have just been spreading some good advice to forum users.

Joe

22nd Jan 06 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does look like advertising to me as you posted all that a few weeks back in a different post. Anyway what did they adjust on your car?
royvious

22nd Jan 06 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the big car accident repair shops have them!
Joe

22nd Jan 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thats great and again on your corsa what else can they adjust apart from your toe-in toe-out? I'd just like to know what else can be done on a corsa?
royvious

22nd Jan 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had my camber made adjustable by elongating the holes on the suspension turret. The chaps at my local garage set up the camber using some camber guages to -1 on each side instead of the -3 it was at before.
When the car is on the hunter aligner the tracking when adjusted affects the camber and alters it ever so slightly. If that is not enough the elongated holes which have been made can be loosened and adjusted to increase or decrease camber. The Corsa track rod ends are very very sensitive.

Joe

22nd Jan 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats more like it, ok cool
royvious

22nd Jan 06 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The lower the car the more negative camber. Setting adjustable suspension higher will increase camber. For those with coilover on front and rear or with adjustable spring platforms (H&R)

New Poll