corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What should have happend when Group B was cancelled

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What should have happend when Group B was cancelled
jr

User status: Offline
30th Jan 06 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The FIA were thinking about introducing GROUP S IN 1987

Imaginge how stunning the cars would have been, this was lancias ECV 2 prototype

Engine Centrally mounted, longitudinal with 4 cyl inline. 1795CC. Bore x stroke, 88.5mm x 71.5mm Triflux' double reverse flow cylinder head with 4 valves/cylinder and twin overhead camshafts. Compression ratio, 7.5:1. 600bhp @ 8000rpm.. 55mKg@5000rpm. Twin KKK (K26 type) turbochargers with individual intercoolers. Weber/Magnetti Marelli injection/ignition with electronically controlled turbocharging level. Dry sump lubrication with pressure and extraction pumps and air/oil radiators.

Transmission Four-wheel drive. Epicyclic train torque converter with viscous coupling and ZF differentials rear. Carbon fibre/Kevlar drive shafts. Provision for locking the central torque distribution (30/70, front/ rear). Twin-plate clutch with metal-ceramic friction gaskets. Five speed gearbox longitudinally mounted at rear.

Bodywork Load-bearing structure made of carbon fibre honeycomb with steel tube screen front structure. Bodywork mostly made of carbon and Kevlar resins, impregnated with epoxy resins.

Suspension Independent struts, coil springs and anti rolls front and rear. Co-axial Bilstein dampers at front, double acting Bilstein dampers at rear.

Brakes Front: Ventilated discs with twin-calipers and two 300mm diameter Brembo cylinders. Rear: Ventillated discs with single calipers and four 300mm diameter Brembo cylinders. Brakes operated through twin hydraulic pumps in parallel with manual balance adjustment.

Steering TRW rack and pinion with power assistance.

Wheels Composite material, Speedline 9ins x l6ins rims at front with light alloy 11 ins x 16ins at rear. Pirelli tyres 230/660-16 (front) and 290/660-16 (rear)

Adam_B

30th Jan 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know why they dont just bring it back, saftey regs are much improved in motorsport these days
Matt H

30th Jan 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robin
Premium Member

30th Jan 06 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, i agree with adam, just make everone wear nomex, and have 30000 point roll cages in all the cars, make them out of tracing paper, and give them silly power, and also, make the spectators stand 13 miles from the roads, and use telescopes to watch

job done
jr

30th Jan 06 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at everyone wearing Nomex
Robin
Premium Member

30th Jan 06 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, on the spot tests for the contents of the roll cage should be performed prior to every stage, to eliminate death
jr

30th Jan 06 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMFAO rob

not alot off people will get that
Robin
Premium Member

30th Jan 06 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why i said it, i knew you knew, as we have discussed it before

for the other people.....

timrud_

30th Jan 06 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WRC cars are prolly just as fast as group B was now?
Robin
Premium Member

30th Jan 06 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh no... no.... no no

group B was just insane, like the F1 cars of the same era, they were stupidly powerful, and ridiculously fast

hannu mikkola, or pentti airikolla or someone drove an audi quattro S1 evo round brands hatch so fast, he would have qualified 6th for the 1985 grand prix there

doubt a focus would go round any F1 circuit quick enough to qualify, let along 6th

(i may edit my post when i find out the correct information, like the driver, year and track)
jr

30th Jan 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep im sure that fact is 99% right rob

group b was in another leage to WRC
Robin
Premium Member

30th Jan 06 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i learn so much from the audi channel on sky
SVM 286

31st Jan 06 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
yeah, i agree with adam, just make everone wear nomex, and have 30000 point roll cages in all the cars, make them out of tracing paper, and give them silly power, and also, make the spectators stand 13 miles from the roads, and use telescopes to watch

job done

SVM 286

31st Jan 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
also, on the spot tests for the contents of the roll cage should be performed prior to every stage, to eliminate death

This is merely folklore and rumour as far as I know.

I have never seen anything in print regarding the alleged incident, and as far as I know, nobody has ever admitted to anything untoward.

I would welcome a bit of contradiction in this area, as i've never been able to find any definitive info on the subject.

The mountain that Toivonen and his co-driver were killed on was an accident waiting to happen though.
ed

31st Jan 06 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Group B was nuts. Full stop.

Motorsport is not safe. Thats the point. Thats what makes it fun right, the risk of death and crippling injury? Oh... Maybe not?
Butler

31st Jan 06 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

group b
Butler

31st Jan 06 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Group B was nuts. Full stop.

Motorsport is not safe. Thats the point. Thats what makes it fun right, the risk of death and crippling injury? Oh... Maybe not?

i agree, if you dont want to die you shouldnt do it really, everyone should know the risks
SVM 286

31st Jan 06 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr

This is rather excellent isn't it Jimbo.

Imagine Vatanen going up Pikes Peak in a loon spec variant, much in the vein of the 405 T16 special or the P.P. version of the S1. - nice.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What should have happend when Group B was cancelled 23 database queries in 0.0122161 seconds