corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FK coilovers vs Koni adjustables with courtenay springs, 2lt corsa.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FK coilovers vs Koni adjustables with courtenay springs, 2lt corsa.
Adam_B

User status: Offline
10th Feb 06 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno if anyone cares but ive clicked post new topic now so its getting typed. I fitted Koni adjustables with courtenay springs on monday to replace my tired leaky FK highsport coilovers, 2 years and numerous trackdays old. On the back of the car i have kept the fk dampers and springs with adjuster cup thingys as they appear to be in good condition. The fronts however were totally fucked, i had to cut through the top of the piston to get the top mount off, bottom of the damper also looks worryingly rusty.

On the coilovers the car handled not amazing, but certainly acceptable all things considering (big heavy 16 year old engine hanging out over the front wheels) Theres plenty grip for spirited road driving in good conditions, no real issuses with torque steering or tramlining.

With the koni/courtenay setup fitted straight away a big difference in ride height, not a major problem really tho? Yes actully, on the road it feels like its up on stilts, initial turn in is good, probably better than the fks, but after that it all goes wrong. loads of body roll, then oversteer (can feel the inside back wheel come off the ground, then massive understeer. ace. This is with the dampers on the hardest setting, dread to think what its like with them on soft.

In a straight line it gets worse, loads of torque steer, planting the trottle in 1st or 2nd you need both hands on the wheel. tramlines quite bad as well when cruising.

I dont think its the dampers at fault tho, its obvious its the springs. I dont know who makes them for courtenay, but they are rubbish.

essay over.

summary- FKs, handle alright, but dont get them wet/dirty/direct sunlight/whatever they will die. Konis, probably very good. Courtenay 2ltr springs, crap.

mwg

10th Feb 06 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are you going to get some different springs? Like Eibach? I heard they are good but no experience myself
broster
Premium Member

10th Feb 06 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id deffo get some siffer springs for them...
Adam_B

10th Feb 06 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, 500 odd quids worth of Koni coilovers will be here in 10 days
Balling
Premium Member

10th Feb 06 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll want KW coilovers! Will last a hell of a lot longer than Eibach, Koni or FK!

Adam_B

10th Feb 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£750
Balling
Premium Member

10th Feb 06 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
£750

You should be able to get them cheaper than that! Anyway, the quality is without comparison! They will never rust!

Adam_B

10th Feb 06 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everything rusts in this country at winter mate
Balling
Premium Member

10th Feb 06 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KW coilover after being sprayed with salt water for 480 hours:

jamied

10th Feb 06 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just ordered spax coilovers, hope they will be ok.
MatG

10th Feb 06 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally wouldnt touch FK coilovers again. Mine have been on the car for over a year, the car ha snot even gone outside and all the suspension is corroded very badly indeed..
James R

11th Feb 06 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spax are known to not be very good, they are too hard, and knacker the top mounts for a start, but loose traction cause the cars too hard.

I'd go for a nice set of leda's or Gaz, had a gaz set and where fine after 15k on the roads.
the_legend_of_yrag

11th Feb 06 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you take care of the fks, they are fine or pay £30 more for silverlines, quite simple...
myke

11th Feb 06 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag
if you take care of the fks, they are fine or pay £30 more for silverlines, quite simple...

i can't seee many people washing the salt off their suspension after every winter drive.
fit and forget is what it's about
Matt H

11th Feb 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't read all the thread but I have Koni's with Courtnay springs & its
Adam_B

11th Feb 06 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you sure?

[Edited on 11-02-2006 by Adam_B]
the_legend_of_yrag

11th Feb 06 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag

i can't seee many people washing the salt off their suspension after every winter drive.
fit and forget is what it's about

Then pay £30 more for fk silverlines that dont corrode....
3CorsaMeal

11th Feb 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have koni adjustables, set on softest, but they came with ROC performance springs (dunno much about them)

am pleased with them, still very bumpy at times but corners well.

although it does wander about the road alot and kinda snatches the steering wheel
MatG

11th Feb 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine are silverlines, and its never been outside yet its still corroded? Please tell me how I can take better care of them?
dannycorsa c

11th Feb 06 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fk use koni dampers anyway.part of the same company.fk r just the cheaper version of konis
Siberia

11th Feb 06 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think all cars... or driver requirments are different...

you didnt seem to have much problems with your fks... i found them to be utter turd....

most people on this site recommend koni's... i just put koni's onto my misus's tigra which had the most cheapest bilstein kit on it before hand... which made it handle like a gokart...

after putting the koni's on it its fcuking rubbish... the understeer it just silly...

[Edited on 11-02-2006 by Siberia]
Adam_B

11th Feb 06 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
i think all cars... or driver requirments are different...

you didnt seem to have much problems with your fks... i found them to be utter turd....

most people on this site recommend koni's... i just put koni's onto my misus's tigra which had the most cheapest bilstein kit on it before hand... which made it handle like a gokart...

after putting the koni's on it its fcuking rubbish... the understeer it just silly...

[Edited on 11-02-2006 by Siberia]

nail, head, hit, right there.

I think lot of people say get this or that, but the only other setup theyve tried is standard stuff, so of course your bilabong AJ funkmaster springs are going to be shithot.
RCoughtrie

11th Feb 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently ordered a pair of fk highsports coilovers, ordered them from rimstyle and from what they told me fk highsports are getting a revamping, changing the design of the lower strut leg for a better fitment, thus allowing a better road holding and handling....

Will have mines early march

Adam_B

11th Feb 06 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie
changing the design of the lower strut leg for a better fitment, thus allowing a better road holding and handling....

sounds like there getting rid of the crappy camber adjusting bit. good.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FK coilovers vs Koni adjustables with courtenay springs, 2lt corsa. 24 database queries in 0.0139990 seconds