corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In Car PC...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author In Car PC...
ed

User status: Offline
16th Feb 06 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing it... Definately!

I have found some cheap(ish) decent quality touch screens that I'm happy with using... However I don't know much about building PC's

I want it to run Windows XP with reasonable performance....

So this is the list of stuff I think I need to build the actual PC:

Mother Board
PSU
Hard Disk
Graphics Card
Sound Card (if not on the mother board)

Here are the extras I think I will be adding on:

WAN Card
GPS Reciever

Here are the other bits I will be using too:

Compact Wireless Keyboard

Basically the idea is to have the hardware hidden away in my dashboard, which I will be customising

Not sure what else I have to say about this project as I haven't even finished the exterior of the car yet... But watch this space
RKS

17th Feb 06 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.linitx.com

you want mini-itx stuff as this is lower wattage mini-itx usually have onboard graphics with tv-out, alltho if using a touch screen you will probably just use the vga anyway, sound will be on board you will however need some memory

you will either need a 12v in PSU or you will have to run a power invertor

u2u chumbly as he has already done the project himself
ed

17th Feb 06 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea spoke to Ash... I have found some decent PSU's that hibernate the PC when the ignition is turned off...

I have found a few boards that would be suitable. Need to research this all. I think I am going to split charge a secondary battery for the PC and a few other accessorys
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

17th Feb 06 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This lot went in my car:

It has all been taken out now and i am running my laptop in there insted, its alot easier to power, i hide it under the front seat.

It does look good when its running though

Ashley
RKS

18th Feb 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd built a pc to go in but hadnt fitted it... and i also have a laptop with a ciggy lighter which im going to put in now... just need a decent touchscreen, alltho i could just get that at a later date
M2RTY

19th Feb 06 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i made mine from mini itx stuff
corsa_lover

19th Feb 06 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know much on the subject but do know if your putting behind dash remember to alllow for some sort of cooling. Seems obvious but its usually the obvious we miss
ed

19th Feb 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's going to have a fan sucking air in from the cold air feed off of the cars ventilation system I guess
MikeLamb

21st Feb 06 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like chumbly, I've done this myself. It doesn't work like you want it too, you will hit loads of problems.

I ripped it all out & replaced it with a slimline ps2, 8" sunvisor screens, an ipod and an xda exec. Works 100x better.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In Car PC... 24 database queries in 0.0121341 seconds