corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Difference between 'hits' and 'visits' ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Difference between 'hits' and 'visits' ?
dave17

User status: Offline
27th Feb 06 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the difference?

Adam_B

27th Feb 06 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

visits would be different ip address', hits is how many times the page has been looked at by anyone. i think.
John

27th Feb 06 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definition of hits:
A single request from a Web browser for a single item from a Web server

Definition of a visitor:

A visitor is a user that spends time browsing your site - logged in the site's statistics as a referring URL and "time spent" in the site.
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Feb 06 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 'hit' is a single request for a file. One jpg, one html file, etc, etc. To display a single page is usually quite a few hits as it's html, css, few images, etc. People usually quote 'hits' as the number of users that visited their site -- it's not the case.

A visit in most stats packages is based on a 'visit' from a single IP address, with a timeout of around 20 minutes, i.e. if I visited the site, viewed a few pages within 20 mins of each other it would be one 'visit'. If I came back again later that day it would be my second 'visit.
Paul_J

27th Feb 06 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh, ^

so hits may be, they've got on your home page, clicked a link to another page on the site, then say come back to home page etc.

visits is - 1 unique person viewed.
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Feb 06 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Month - Jan 2006
Unique visitors - 36,182
Number of visits - 103,755
Pages - 12,363,366
Hits - 42,828,985
Bandwidth - 164.01 GB

Number of unique visitors is particularly difficult to get right down to proxies, etc, etc. It's probably lower than the true number in most cases...
dave17

27th Feb 06 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wel our site is nothing near that, mainly because it isnt finished and not advertised anywhere.

Interestingly the visits have shot up this month, since ive had a link in my sig

New Poll