corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » bodykits

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bodykits
caribicbluecorsa

User status: Offline
   27th Mar 06 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was supposed to be getting my standard bumpers sprayed this weekend got quoted 200 which i thought was'nt to bad but when i went there today he told me because i have been using back to black on my bumpers and arches he would have to charge no less than 400 quid because he has to soak it in some stuff and didnt realise how much the bumpers needed to be sanded

so i decided that over the weekend i will go lookin for a bodykit i dont want to spend a lot but where can i get them from? anyone know any good sites or got one for sale

P.S: can every one read my message ok because i have been told i type to shorthand
johnny27

27th Mar 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

400 quid is a total absolute rip off. Even 200 quid is really steep for just 2 bumpers and arches. The reason he said he has to "soak" it is because the back to black contains silicone. Its not expensive to get this off, as he has made you think, it simply involves alot of elbow grease, using methyl spirits or white spirit on a rag, to remove the silicone. Also it does not need to be sanded down alot more so than std prep of a bumper. If you find a different body shop i'm sure you can get it done for less than £200. Ppl get sick of the aftermarket bumper after a few months, the std black/grey bumpers on corsas look great and orignal, lots of ppl are going bck to this look, just like the novas. I'm keeping the same look on my corsa too.
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. my bodyshop charges £40 to spray a bumper!!

2. go to the classified wanted section, by the gsi front bumper for sale
3. go on ebay by a gsi back bumper for about £30
4. go on ebay or on here and by some gsi sideskirts and arches £100
5. get them all sprayed and fitted for about £150
6. bobs ya uncle, a gsi kitted corsa for £400

ps THATS WHAT I WOULD DO WITH £400

:wink:
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or if you dont wanna spend that much, take it to a body shop who has realistic prices, and get your bumpers done for £100
johnny27

27th Mar 06 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you decide on a bodykit, ebay is your best bet on a budget. Try to find one thats a decent fit, ask around check feedback. If you've got the facelift shape front bumper, there are some nice splitter/spoilers, i'm sure you've seen them, some of them cover the whole bottom of the bumper, makes the bumper look very different like a different style, but keeps the orignal lines and looks. Bear in mind that you're gonna need this painted and fitted also, so don't use the same guy the qouted you 400 quid for your orignal bumpers you mentioned. Just be careful what bumpers you buy as some of them can take alot of modding to fit meaning more time and money, but most side skirts are fitted the usual ways. I would recommend the GSi bumper look or as mentioned get a late bumper with some of these spoilers/splitters, have a look in some of the owner galleries
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good opinion
johnny27

27th Mar 06 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaaa_16v

3. go on ebay by a gsi back bumper for about £30

ps THATS WHAT I WOULD DO WITH £400

:wink:

Is there any point in buying a rear GSI bumper, they all look the same, i would just use your orignal rear bumper and get it smoothed with high build primer when getting sprayed
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but the body shop will charge more to sand that down, plus the gsi bumpers will be evenly smooth, some bodyshops are lazy and it would feel uneven!! thats what id do anyway, as its less hassle, and the bodyshop i go to said it costs more to spray a bumper with the textured plastci so for the hassle id rather get a gsi one, plus could probs sell his standard rear bumper to make up most of the money spent on the gsi one!!
johnny27

27th Mar 06 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats ture. As i smooth my own bumpers with high build and its pretty time consuming, 2 coats, wait to next day to flatten it, 2 more coats, next day flatten, and sometimes can even run into another cycle. Its not that expensive to do but suppose thats why body shops would charge more for their time.
As a matter of intrest, i've always noticed that the rear gsi bumpers i've seen, look like the pre facelift std rear bumpers, the one where the towing eye is showing, was there any gsi corsa with the second series bumper where towing eye was covered?
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont think so mate, ive got a gsi kit on my black corsa and the towing eye is showing!! i kind of like the facelift bumpers shape more, but i suppose the smoother gsi bumper blends in with the gsi kit more!! mine looks like this:

http://photobucket.com/albums/d99/CORSAAA/CORSA%20SRI/?action=view&current=NEWCORSA019.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/d99/CORSAAA/CORSA%20SRI/?action=view&current=NEWCORSA017.jpg

and as regards your point about the time consuming, bodyshop charge labour of usually £20-£25 an hour for stuff so you think about it, a gsi bumper sounds a much better path to take mate!!
johnny27

27th Mar 06 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You black gsi is lovely mate. To be honest i prefere the pre facelift bumpers, my rear is the same type you have on your GSi, I even have a aftermarket rear bumper for my corsa here at the garage and don't even want to fit it now because i love the shape of the old one :-)
corsaaa_16v

27th Mar 06 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, i love it!! and very rare to see a black gsi!!

yeh old ones are nicer come to think of it, the towing cover makes it looks less smooth, etc!!

you got pics of your car!?

ps sorry for stealing your thread mate
caribicbluecorsa

28th Mar 06 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for your advice people, think i will go and try and find some different bodyshops today
caribicbluecorsa

28th Mar 06 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S Dont worry about the stealing lol at least i got the info i was after
corsaaa_16v

28th Mar 06 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries mate!! good luck

New Poll