corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Has the world cup.............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Has the world cup.............
Teddy

User status: Offline
5th Jul 06 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....lived up to the hype?

Personally i think not.
Couple of key points i would pull out would be........

Obviously England penalty shoot out shambles AGAIN (oh well im not gunna harp on about it)

France threataning to go home without scoring a goal again - to having a decent shot at the final.

I think i actually hate the Porteguse more than the French, how frightfully odd.

I really hope the Italians win it - for the fact they are great clever footballers, plus with whats happening back at home for them - lifting their fourth title would be great - they would only be one behind Brazil then

Overall I think the players which were "meant" to set the tornament alight have been highly disapointing...

Ronaldo (Bra) Ok broke the record but nothing like he was
Kaka - Good player didnt overally perform
Ronaldinho - Great player flashes of genius - went home in the quarter final

Owen - Not fit full stop
Rooney - should have done somthing anything - failed to produce.
Lennon - the first englishman in a long time to "excite" me. Defenders didnt know what to do with him, should have played instead of Beckham.

Henry - sneaky feeling he could explode in the semi and the final (if France make it)
Zidane - thought he was past it - proved me wrong.

Roisky - Cant wait to see him in the premiership next year...... Arsenal are really going to have some team.

The African nations really impressed me as well - Ghana looking very strong, with a bit more disaplaine - i think we will see an African nation lift the cup before long.

I love football overal but i feel a touch dispointed that this hasnt been a tournement to remember (yet )
Marc

5th Jul 06 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much agree with all you have put there. Out of the remaining teams I want Italy to win too.

If anything, I'm geared up for the new football season now.

[Edited on 05-07-2006 by Marc]
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jul 06 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there have been lots of quailty games to watch and some outstanding goals but as Marc said I'm now looking forward to the Prem season starting again and my Sunday League kicking off in September

Robbo

5th Jul 06 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes and No... the 4 remaninging teams are not a good reflection IMO... I would not have picked any of them to be in the Semi's before hadn... my 4 teams would ahve been Brazil, Argentina, Spain and England
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jul 06 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Yes and No... the 4 remaninging teams are not a good reflection IMO... I would not have picked any of them to be in the Semi's before hadn... my 4 teams would ahve been Brazil, Argentina, Spain and England

How could you not of included Italy as one of the 4 to make it?

The Spanish haven't got a great side and to predict England ever making it further than the semis is just being too optimistic
Robbo

5th Jul 06 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because despite the fact they are likely to win it, I don't think they are that great... defend well (very) but attacking they don't have many stand out players IMO... and its not being optimistic to say England could have won it... we certainly ahve a better squad of players than the other last 4 just can't do it as a unit (inter stylee)
Robbo

5th Jul 06 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re. Spain, they ahve a MUCH better squad of players than Italy... Puyol, Joaguin, Cesc, Torres etc
Edd

5th Jul 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a group of great players doesnt make a great team
Ojc

5th Jul 06 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Up until the game yesterday the World Cup to me was all about cheating your way to the final, players rolling around like faggots.

Then yesterday all of a sudden all of this was forgotten and the best game I've seen in years happened, no rolling around, no diving, no cheating, it was superb.
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jul 06 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Because despite the fact they are likely to win it, I don't think they are that great... defend well (very) but attacking they don't have many stand out players IMO... and its not being optimistic to say England could have won it... we certainly ahve a better squad of players than the other last 4 just can't do it as a unit (inter stylee)

thats exactly my point. We have never merged and played well as a team and it certainly shows.

Did you watch the match last night. Some truly outstanding football from both sides, more so Italy. The balls the midfielders and Totti were playing to each other nobody in our team could do. I'm not talking about 60yard passes, just short, quick passes to feet and everyone linking up well and making space for each other. England don't do that. It's not our style

Also, and this is one of Englands major faults. Whenever the ball goes to the back or we're in danger we lack composure. Both Italy and Germany (but again more so Italy last night) were zipping the ball around at the back and getting themselves out of trouble. What do Neville or Rio do? Hoof it 70 yards upfield in the hope that our lone striker will magically take it down, skin 2 or more defenders and score.

Please

Spain also suffer from similar traits. They have a few creative players but as a team it all falls down.

Doesn't matter whether we look good on paper, it's what goes on on the pitch that counts, and we don't cut it.

[Edited on 05-07-2006 by --Dave--]
Eck
Premium Member

5th Jul 06 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats where italy excel I think. They have been an awesome unit, know where everybody is, know where every pass is going. With totti's, Toni, Camoranesi and Pirlo's ability moving forward, and Gattuso's defensive ability and determination, they make an awesome team. Speech over
Robbo

5th Jul 06 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
a group of great players doesnt make a great team
Never said it does... but it should
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jul 06 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Up until the game yesterday the World Cup to me was all about cheating your way to the final, players rolling around like faggots.

Then yesterday all of a sudden all of this was forgotten and the best game I've seen in years happened, no rolling around, no diving, no cheating, it was superb.

That's what I thought as well. Thought we'd have to do as Alan Shearer suggested and start playing dirty.

Then 2 teams last night played some magnificent football and showed us what it was all about.

Saw Totti get absolutely hacked from behind and he got up pretty much straight away. No crying, no rolling around, nothing.

It's how the sport should be played.
Robbo

5th Jul 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets be honest though Dave, they played fair yesterday but thats very very out of character for them ALTHOUGH as you say, Alan Shearer did have a point...
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jul 06 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was out of character but it was so much better to watch. Think all the players knew that as well.

The day we start diving and cheating will be a sad one. I don't think it's in our nature.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Has the world cup............. 24 database queries in 0.0098579 seconds