corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cars are expensive to maintain

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cars are expensive to maintain
MarkM

User status: Offline
   24th Jul 06 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought myself a 306 DTurbo in October due to me doing a lot of miles travelling to law college and the fact my dad could get me free diesel to run it...the idea was it was meant to be a cheap run about...however I have spent in the last 2 months on the pug....

New Clutch = £200 (£100 part/£100 fitted)
New Cambelt = £120 (Supplied and fitted)
2 x New drive belts (Tensioner belt pulley was fucked so kept snapping them) = £27
New tensioner belt pulley = £160 (£84 part/£80 fitted)
New Water Pump = £70 (£40 part/£30 fitted)
Full service incl pads..shoes...all filters etc = £100 (£67 parts/£30 service by mate)

Grand total of = £677

Only saving grace for the thing is I get free diesel so it costs me nothing to run...and everything major that can be done has been done...so touch wood nothing else can go wrong...but its a Peugeot so im not holding my breath...

Its running sweet as a nut now though so should serve me well in the 70 miles a day I do to college and back...and I dont mind wracking the miles up on it as its only on 82,000 miles and once law college is finished I shall be going in for something newish (year or two old)..maybe a TT of some sort...

Go pug go

Ry_B
Banned

24th Jul 06 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be alright now though mate, the old pug 306 oil burners are tanks

Btw, free diesel = cough vege oi coughl
Carr

24th Jul 06 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 306 TD has been fine never had any problems apart from one cause by me when I hit some snow then a dry stone wall but even after that got fixed ive had no probs. I find they are a good runner and generally serve u well if u check on it. mines done me fine so far as i say
Marc

24th Jul 06 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to try running a healthy Impreza!
MarkM

24th Jul 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ry_B

Btw, free diesel = cough vege oi coughl

Nope its actual proper diesel..and not the red stuff...
MarkM

24th Jul 06 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carr
My 306 TD has been fine never had any problems apart from one cause by me when I hit some snow then a dry stone wall but even after that got fixed ive had no probs. I find they are a good runner and generally serve u well if u check on it. mines done me fine so far as i say

To be honest besides the faults above I cant fault it for what its purpose is...I have probably saved well in excess of that in what I would be paying for petrol over the last ten months...

Its starts first time everytime...and is in very good nick...its on an R reg...

There are a few little bits I wouldnt mind fixing such as a minor scuff on the rear bumper (shows up as its black and the cars silver)...a small dent on the passenger side door where the wind caught it and the door pin snapped swinging the door right open... and the 2 scuffs on the front bumper due to me hitting a kerb...

Oh sorry add to that list 4 brand new tyres back in October...at £120 odd and £20 balanced and fitted...
MarkM

24th Jul 06 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carr - What is your clutch pedal like?? I have had a new clutch but it still feels quite heavy...I know its a diesel and they can be heavier but its distinctly heavier that say my sisters Corsa C's clutch...

Again I know its an older car but just need to know if its mine or there all like that....
Carr

24th Jul 06 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My clutch is fine tbh was replaced just before I bought it I think. Was heavyish to start with but dead good now.
But yes it's heavier than my mums mini I reckon. That and I'm not used to the bite in hers i suppose
MarkM

24th Jul 06 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine is quite heavy but the bite etc is spot on no issues with that...plus when they changed over the clutch they didnt mention anything was wrong...any ideas on what could be making it heavy??

GT4Brody

24th Jul 06 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh although thats quite a lot of work, that is very cheap for what you have had done. my last car it cost me 400 to have clutch put in car and 250 to buy the clutch alone!!

[Edited on 24-07-2006 by GT4Brody]
Jambo

25th Jul 06 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
You want to try running an 11year old calibra with working 4x4

Your quite right marc
Marc

25th Jul 06 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL, yeah, one of them too!!!
burgess

25th Jul 06 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or repairing a calibra turbo 4x4 when the transfer box goes!
cost £1250 for a sports box from vts
perm 4 wheel drive now!
oh and the same happened to my cav turbo too!
stubbsy05

25th Jul 06 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My pug 106 diesel cost me £450 and have only ahd to tax her so far.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wether its proper diesel or vegetable oil or whatever you are legally required to pay tax on the fuel, you are breaking the law and could suffer a large fine if you got found out

[Edited on 25-07-2006 by Steve]
ryansss

25th Jul 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
I bought myself a 306 DTurbo in October due to me doing a lot of miles travelling to law college and the fact my dad could get me free diesel to run it...the idea was it was meant to be a cheap run about...however I have spent in the last 2 months on the pug....

New Clutch = £200 (£100 part/£100 fitted)
New Cambelt = £120 (Supplied and fitted)
2 x New drive belts (Tensioner belt pulley was fucked so kept snapping them) = £27
New tensioner belt pulley = £160 (£84 part/£80 fitted)
New Water Pump = £70 (£40 part/£30 fitted)
Full service incl pads..shoes...all filters etc = £100 (£67 parts/£30 service by mate)

Grand total of = £677

Only saving grace for the thing is I get free diesel so it costs me nothing to run...and everything major that can be done has been done...so touch wood nothing else can go wrong...but its a Peugeot so im not holding my breath...

Its running sweet as a nut now though so should serve me well in the 70 miles a day I do to college and back...and I dont mind wracking the miles up on it as its only on 82,000 miles and once law college is finished I shall be going in for something newish (year or two old)..maybe a TT of some sort...

Go pug go

Bargin!!

The clutch on my civic is playing up and I'm looking about 3 times what you paid for yours.

Trouble with cars, you can go buy a really fast 4x4 evo, scooby, skyline, but you can pay just as much again in running costs.
Ditch

25th Jul 06 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GT4Brody
tbh although thats quite a lot of work, that is very cheap for what you have had done. my last car it cost me 400 to have clutch put in car and 250 to buy the clutch alone!!

[Edited on 24-07-2006 by GT4Brody]

ahh the joys of 4WD

that a standard clutch for £250 chap?
Jambo

25th Jul 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
wether its proper diesel or vegetable oil or whatever you are legally required to pay tax on the fuel, you are breaking the law and could suffer a large fine if you got found out

[Edited on 25-07-2006 by Steve]

Im not arguing before the tall horses come out, but doesnt VAT on the veggie fuel count?
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, have to pay the fuel tax
Jambo

25th Jul 06 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cars are expensive to maintain 23 database queries in 0.0119669 seconds