corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » NEWS: Xbox live banning modded consoles?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NEWS: Xbox live banning modded consoles?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Oct 06 at 06:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.xboxic.com/news/1880

quote:

After several months of silence it was more or less accepted that Microsoft wasn’t going to do anything about the firmware hacks that allow Xbox 360s to play backups. Rather surprising, considering the ‘inventor’ of the hack confirmed in March already that the mods are easily detectable, and the reports that piracy is running rampant in countries like China. It appears that Microsoft is finally taking action against them though, although they may be hitting the wrong persons.

So Xbox have got their act together and decided that they don't want modded boxes on their gaming network for whatever reasons, but what do you think? Should modded consoles be allowed on Live! and if so why?

Personally I'm sitting on the fence, because modded consoles/games could introduce cheats into the game and make the whole thing very borring (anyone who has experienced this on an FPS like Battlefield/Counterstrike on the PC will know this).

Greg_M

31st Oct 06 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have just carried on what they started on the original xbox. Im all for it.
Russ

31st Oct 06 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and me, games aint cheap.
topshot_2k
Banned

31st Oct 06 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im all for it. especially as i pay 30-40quid for games.
dave17

31st Oct 06 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im for it aswel, more people not paying for games means the price for us paying customers will go up
John

31st Oct 06 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When have games prices ever went up because of people not paying for them?
topshot_2k
Banned

31st Oct 06 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not the point, its the point we pay 30-50quid then some thief goes and rips himself a'free' copy
PaulW

31st Oct 06 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with microsoft's stance on this...
--Dave--
Banned

31st Oct 06 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

piracy costs the games industry untold amounts of money.

This surely can't help the likes of Sony/Microsoft when they tell developers how much it's going to cost to make games for their systems.

Developers then have no choice but to pass this cost onto us.

£50 for a new 360 game. Sheeesh.

As topshot said though, that's not the point. I don't want some freeloader enjoying benefits I've had to pay for.
John

31st Oct 06 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it none of you download films or pc games or software or anything like that
Demo

31st Oct 06 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a catch22 situation:

if piracy wasnt around, prices would drop as the customer base would be greater

however, because the prices are so high it encourages people to go down the piracy route

personally im all for them banning people with modded consoles. why should us kosher people pay good money for games when others dont
John

31st Oct 06 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anybody have proof that people who use pirate stuff would originally pay for it in the 1st place?

I'm not condoning piracy but I don't see how xbox piracy is different from not having a legit version of windows or downloading the latest movie.
Melville

1st Nov 06 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I can get it for free I will have it for free
Steve
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Downloading games for free is where its at! This is crap news

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Steve]
Rob_Quads

1st Nov 06 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Demo
its a catch22 situation:

if piracy wasnt around, prices would drop as the customer base would be greater

The customer bases would be greater but I am not sure by that much. Virtually everyone I know if they can't get a copied bit of software they will not bother, they will use something else
i.e. If it was impossible to copy MS Office then I am sure that a majority of people would end up going along the lines of Open Office.

Dom

2nd Nov 06 at 02:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally im all for modding, not necessarily to use "backup" copies, but certainly to gain extra features - like XBMC (XBoxMediaCentre) for Xbox 1s, without modding it wouldn't exist and im hoping someone will mod something for the 360 because the media centre stuff is a crock of shite!

And anyways, no one here can say they haven't downloaded, illegally, a film or tv programme or mp3/music, so there isn't any difference between this and any other industry - and if you can get it for free, 99% of people will (if they can/know how to), unless you have money burning holes in your pockets, in which case you shouldn't be giving a rats arse
Liam

2nd Nov 06 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not as if they don't make enough money anyway, why not help us out by making games cheaper. People would be able to afford more games, which = more money, and some people wouldn't have to go down the piracy route. I think its stupid, they are just robbing bastards

[Edited on 02-11-2006 by Liam]
ssj_kakarot

2nd Nov 06 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry lol but people are naive if they actually believe prices would drop on games if there was no way of using pirated games lol.

New Poll