corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Best result with fibreglass

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best result with fibreglass
woodywoods12345

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 06 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do i achieve the best result with fibreglass and p38? I know ive got to sand loads, but what else? Also what grade does the sand paper go up in? what the roughest etc? Thanks
Tommy L

3rd Dec 06 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on what you are doing?
woodywoods12345

3rd Dec 06 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a tv build, Ive already done but im unhappy with the outcome and have decided to get a better result.

[Edited on 03-12-2006 by woodywoods12345]
Tommy L

3rd Dec 06 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

applying p40 generously is the key but not too much. get a high grain sandpaper (rough) and sand it down to the shape you want. then maybe use a lower grain sandpaper to smooth it a bit more but so its not too smooth and a little rough so the p38 can grip to it. do the same with p38 but at the end use the lowest (finest) grade sandpaper you can get hold of and rub til smooth. also get some filler primer so it gets rid of all tiny pit marks that you may have,
Crazy LEDs

3rd Dec 06 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not just shape it more and fill it then sand
looks too good to have to start from scratch
woodywoods12345

3rd Dec 06 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no im not startin from scratch, theres just a few things i need to top up, like the headunit wont fit in properly on the one side because the single din is at a slant etc
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 06 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you talking about fibreglass matt and resin or the pink shit in a can P40? cause you wont egt "best results" with the latter
woodywoods12345

3rd Dec 06 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im talking about p38 and p40 the one you get from halfords for 9.99
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 06 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not really fibreglass - it is generically but not really - its a bridging agent; it's incredibly heavy for what it is as well

Your much better off shaping the gaps with foam and then using a small amount of glass matt

then if you need to and you shouldn't; use a small amount of filler and sand it back until smooth

thats how I'd do it anyway; would never crack either and you can remove the foam after the resin has cured - its only there to support the shap for cure
woodywoods12345

3rd Dec 06 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i no, but stickin to the basics is alot easier, this is the only fibreglass ive ever used, n it took me ages to get to grips with it, thanks tho, will bare it in mind for when i make door pods
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 06 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the problem though - everyone thinks its the easy route but its actually more difficult as its near impossible to sand down because of it's fine mesh characteristics
drax

3rd Dec 06 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use alumium oxide paper to sand it down flat and shape it. but reduce to wet and dry to make sure you dont end up with grooves.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 06 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or use an orbital sander and detail sander -take the effort level out

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Best result with fibreglass 23 database queries in 0.0854981 seconds