corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » taking my gearbox off

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author taking my gearbox off
L30 SCT

User status: Offline
17th Dec 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started taking my gearbox off tonight. think i have all the bolts out apart from 1. i have taken the left hand side of the anti roll bar off. also taken the clutch cable and linkage off.

i just need to no how the drive shafts can be detached from the gearbox and where the engine mount id that i need to drop.

if there is anything else i may have forgotten can you let me no thanks
Nic Barnes

17th Dec 06 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take ball joint bolts out of bottom arm. then pull the whole hub assembly towards you, you may need to give it a sharp pull, drive shaft (and some gearbox oil) should come out. you need to remove both gearbox mountings one under the floor of the car and the one on the front passenger side, bolts into the underside of the chasis leg
Vaux Lad

17th Dec 06 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need support the engine, then remove the front/rear mounts.

The shafts can be removed by undoing the bottom balljoint on the steering knuckle/hub.

The box sits on dowels so will need sliding off.

Also dont let the weight of the box sit on the input shaft as you remove it, make sure you pull it straight cleanly off.
L30 SCT

17th Dec 06 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have taken the arm off one side already. the bolts on the drivers side are being a nightmare.

how do i support the engine properly

i am just a sparky trying to save a bit of money and learn a bit more about cars
ckallis500

17th Dec 06 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i done my gearbox change i lifted both sides of the car up and put it on axle stands, took both wheels off and split both lower ball joints which then allowed the cv's to be pulled out the box. then what i done is used a trolley jack and a big block of wood and put this underneath the sump to support the engine, then removed the 2 mounts and slid the gearbox off. carefull to not bend/damage the input shaft as the egarbox is fairly heavy.
might be eaiser to remove the passenger tie-bar and leave the ball joint attached to the hub as that will need to be romoved to allow enough room for the box to come out... hope that helps chris
L30 SCT

17th Dec 06 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks.

so basically what i have left to do is

support my engine with wood and trolley jack.

undo both gearbox mounts.

pull both hub assembly's to get the driveshafts to come out after unbolting the lower arms.

then hey presto the gearbox comes off with a bit off hassle
L30 SCT

17th Dec 06 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the best way of getting the bottom arms off as i tried earlier and only got the passenger side one done. the driver side seems to be a cunt.
L30 SCT

17th Dec 06 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obviously take driveshafts out before taking off gearbox mounts.

New Poll