corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to use on a new painted car...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What to use on a new painted car...
xtremewheels

User status: Offline
13th Apr 07 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well...My car goes into respray on thurs and it means it'll have well...paint on it! rather than 60% primer. So ill have to start cleaning it

Anyway, since it'll be brand new paint etc etc. What do you recommend using to wash it and keep it looking new for as long as i can

Work at halfrauds so picking up items to wash it with isn't to hard, but would be nice to find out what to use and what not to use on a fresh paint work.

Got told not to wax the car for up to 3months...by a couple of people.
Rob B

13th Apr 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wash it as normal. wax it as normal.
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Apr 07 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh if it is all baked properly you can use anything on it but you shouldnt need to polish it for a gd while anyway as its new fresh paint, waxing it is fine though!
Rob B

13th Apr 07 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
tbh if it is all baked properly you can use anything on it but you shouldnt need to polish it for a gd while anyway as its new fresh paint, waxing it is fine though!

The people that told you have probably never had anything sprayed in there lifes (xtremewheels)

[Edited on 13-04-2007 by Rob B]
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Apr 07 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
quote:
Originally posted by Graeme

The people that told you have probably never had anything sprayed in there lifes (xtremewheels)

[Edited on 13-04-2007 by Rob B]

exactly, im a painter so i should know!
xtremewheels

13th Apr 07 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah fair do's no idea if it's getting 'baked' since its my dads mate doing it on the side for a lower price.

Shall find out, but what products etc etc, means i've had a half primer car for WAY to long, would be nice to use something abit better than normal wash and wax
Rob B

13th Apr 07 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i read that and it looked like it was aimed at you but it wasnt Graeme
ed

13th Apr 07 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself a sheepskin mit for washing it. A couple of buckets so you can have one bucket for soapy water and one for rinsing the dirty mit. Make sure you use a really soapy car shampoo too. Meguairs NXT is pretty nice. When waxing using a clean aplicator and when buffing use new clean polishing cloths. You buy them in a roll, I think you can get them from Halfords in big rolls for about £5... You shouldn't swirl up the paint if you are careful. I seem to be doing alright with ny new car doing this when I wash it
xtremewheels

13th Apr 07 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Get yourself a sheepskin mit for washing it. A couple of buckets so you can have one bucket for soapy water and one for rinsing the dirty mit. Make sure you use a really soapy car shampoo too. Meguairs NXT is pretty nice. When waxing using a clean aplicator and when buffing use new clean polishing cloths. You buy them in a roll, I think you can get them from Halfords in big rolls for about £5... You shouldn't swirl up the paint if you are careful. I seem to be doing alright with ny new car doing this when I wash it

Thanks, ill give it ago

least i can wax it now haha
MarkM

13th Apr 07 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone run by me an idiots guide to the difference between polish and wax?
Rob R

13th Apr 07 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

polish cuts into the paint to restore original colour and shine

wax seals the paint after it's been cut to keep the shine and protect the paint from everyday contaniments such as bird shit and rain water

correct me if im wrong

[Edited on 13-04-2007 by Rob R]
ed

14th Apr 07 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats kinda right. Though you can get polishes like Stage 2 Meguairs Gold Class which don't cut, they are just paint cleansers. I would assume a lot of polishes these days are like that because you don't really want to be using a cutting compund on a regular basis... Your best bet is to read the lable of the product you are using.
bigdan

14th Apr 07 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noooo not fresh paint dont wash it for a week. only polish it but use antisilicon polish so your pant wotn spoil, you should be able 2 get the polish from any spray shop
damandblast

14th Apr 07 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it will need washing for a week! well i hope not, comes out the spray shop from may the 4th, exhaust tail pipes getting fitted may 5th, mfn and 27 on 6th! busy weekend

Jay here, cba to log onto my account so using the mothers

[Edited on 14-04-2007 by damandblast]
Steve
Premium Member

14th Apr 07 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use what you want on it if its been baked, i personally wouoldnt have a spray job doing if it wasnt going to be oven'd anyway.

a decent bodyshop will apply a cutting compound afters its come out the oven anyway

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to use on a new painted car... 23 database queries in 0.0147970 seconds