corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anyone know anything about programming PIC's?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone know anything about programming PIC's?
ed

User status: Offline
3rd Jul 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to learn how to program a PIC and make circuits up e.t.c...

Are there any resources anyone can recomend that are fairly simple. Ideally I would like to write the programs in C rather than machine code, but I have no idea where to start really. Google has turned up with a few helpful links, but it all seems fairly complex
dna23

3rd Jul 07 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've programmed one before mate, what are you looking to do? I used a 08-M iirc, got a manual knocking about i think.
Dom

3rd Jul 07 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pic programming is fairly straight forward, though each pic has its own commands/functions/routines which need to be learnt on top of knowing C. to take full advantage of the pic.
You obviously need a dev board and i would look at Matrix Multimedia - there meant for teaching/school/uni stuff really, but there pretty cheap (in comparison) and most of the boards support a range of PICS and you can add modules for your needs.

As for books, there a plenty about. Though most of the books i've found are specific to a PIC family range (ie: 16F84 etc) but i've yet to find any decent books that give you a general view about PICS - search your uni or local library, or go hunting on Amazon.
Also might be worth trawling through the newsgroups, as there are a number that are worth signing up to.
ed

5th Jul 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smart.

I want to make a control module for an IT integrated desk. So it needs a timer and some way for controlling a few servos, switches and a couple of linier actuators. I guess I need to learn how to build circuits too, but if I read up on it then I will have a pretty awsome final year project for uni
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jul 07 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did it for uni, cant remember any of it
ed

5th Jul 07 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there software out there which allows you to design your program and test the device before you actually make it?
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jul 07 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i used it at uni but again i cant remember what it was but yes there is software that simulates it
ed

5th Jul 07 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't Crocodile Clips was it? I seem to remember fucking about with that program at school oh so many years back.
dna23

5th Jul 07 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Croc Clips can simulate it and then u use the programming editor to build up the code, u want those manuals?

New Poll