corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Looking after an engine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking after an engine
Sunz

User status: Offline
   6th Aug 07 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a 1.6 gsi 8v engine for my 1.4 8v.
Wanna clean it up a little get all the grease and grime off maybe paint the engine block to make it easyier to keep clean, just want it took look half decent and not like the current engine thats in there now

Gueesing just an engine degreaser, any top tryed and test brands ?
Also when cleaning the engine is there any no no's anything I need to be careful of ?

Engine block paint, is this just some hammerite stuff and what colours, think red can look very tacky sometimes.

Going to change cam belt, maybe head gasket depending on funds, anything else I might aswel do wile the engines going to be sitting on my balcony ?

I went halford they reckonmend 15w-40 for the 1.6 is this correct, have seen a few ppls saying 10w-40

Ok thanks
Coddy

6th Aug 07 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10w-40 just offers more protection I believe. As I understand it the 'w' rating is something to do with winter protection, the lower the number the more protection it gives the engine. I may be completely wrong here of course, apologies if that's all crap.
As for the paint, you're probably better off looking for high temperature paint rather than hammerite
Sunz

6th Aug 07 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers mate, I got the 15W-40 as it was for high miles engines 75k+
Hope it will be ok but I know next time.

Can you get high temp paint that doesn't look shite, have used sprays before on 2t bike exhausts and its looks powdery
Sunz

9th Aug 07 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to clean the f13 box but was worried about water getting inside the casings, is it best to block the holes or not to worry as it will dry out as its going to be atleast another week before its fitted

New Poll