corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car sale / Private Plate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car sale / Private Plate
Colin

User status: Offline
25th Sep 07 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the deal with a car (for sale) with a private plate thats to stay with the owner.

Do you need to wait until the new V5 arrives before you can sell it.

Also you cant get this done over the desk can you, needs to be left & wait some number of weeks for it to return???
JM_16v

25th Sep 07 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought a car with the private plate was a nightmare but that was cos the guy was a pain.... i sold it on with his plate in the end and i gave him enough warning

tbh its not worth the effort just buy it once plates transfered
Colin

25th Sep 07 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I thought, could take weeks though??
JM_16v

25th Sep 07 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it usally takes weeks to sort out plates cos u have to send off the v5 with a form and then it has to be processed and the number plate has to be put on retention and anew one assigned and course u have to get the plates made

and we all know dvla like to take there time
John G

25th Sep 07 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

due to the pain in the arse of all the waiting i just sold my car with the plate as i wanted the sale

wel mis me plate now tho
Colin

25th Sep 07 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds like a headache id prefer to avoid if possible. tbh if your selling you should remove the plate before advertising the car!!
beattie17

25th Sep 07 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my cupra with a private plate. Guy i bought it off got plate changed within a couple of weeks, no troubles atall. Think it just depends on the person selling car
John

25th Sep 07 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takes a week max to change a plate.

Might take a bti longer for final documents to ome through but plate should be off and enough for you to buy it in a week, if not that day.
whitter45

26th Sep 07 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you must put it on retention and await your new V5 before you can legally sell it

Takes up to 8 weeks but mine came within a week
DAZ1985

26th Sep 07 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your supposed to wait till the V5 is back with the plate they wish to sell it on.

You would be driving round in a car not regestered to you.

I sold mine to a mate with my plate on as he couldnt wait till it come off, but that was based on trust that he didnt pull as fast one and try screw me over etc ...

Tell him/her to go to their local office and get it retained that will speed up the process. Local office is far quicker than post

[Edited on 26-09-2007 by DAZ1985]
Kano

26th Sep 07 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not a big deal attol, done it a few times.
mav

26th Sep 07 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
It sounds like a headache id prefer to avoid if possible. tbh if your selling you should remove the plate before advertising the car!!

yep what i would do..It is a pain Colin as you are buying car with no V5 if waiting for the plate to be transferred..I sold my old green sport to Des's mate without all the docs as plate was in process of coming off but he trusted me.
M2RTY

26th Sep 07 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
quote:
Originally posted by Colin

yep what i would do..It is a pain Colin as you are buying car with no V5 if waiting for the plate to be transferred..I sold my old green sport to Des's mate without all the docs as plate was in process of coming off but he trusted me.

more like YOU should be trusting HIM as he would be driving a car registered in your name surely?

when I sold my car with ther plate on, we sent the log book off to be put in his name, then when it came back he re-sent it off to get the plate taken off and added me as a named person on the document so I could stick it on my new car

took 3 months

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car sale / Private Plate 23 database queries in 0.0100150 seconds