corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » question about forums (phpbb) and SQL

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author question about forums (phpbb) and SQL
Bart

User status: Offline
4th Nov 07 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have very limited knowlege in dealing with SQL so bare with me.
I have just installed a forum for a website (a local football team). Everything is running well now. The SQL is hosted by my ISP.

Im considering installing a second forum with the same host (all under the same username) etc since i get a good deal with plusnet.

Plusnet like all their php to be in a different directory to the website ccgi.username.force9.co.uk
My current forum for the football team is ccgi.username.force9.co.uk/phpbb
If i install the new forum within a new folder to ccgi.force9.co.uk/newsite is it likely to mess up the SQL database or should it manage having the two forums in different subfolders?

[Edited on 04-11-2007 by Bart]
AndyKent

4th Nov 07 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not get the option of the database name when installing?

If the first sites database is called 'football', and the second 'corsa' they will work together fine as technically they are completely seperate
PaulW

4th Nov 07 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can choose the starting prefix of the database, so you 'can' use the same databse, just change the prefix during setup (from phpbb_ to something like newsite_ )

although it would be better if they did allow you to have more than one sql database
Steve
Premium Member

5th Nov 07 at 00:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

create a new database if you can, you can alter paths and database names in config.php
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Nov 07 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either create another database or prefix the table names with something unique to each site.

Location of the web pages is a different matter. So long as the right pages look at the right tables you will be fine.

New Poll