corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Grande Punto 1.9 JTD

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Grande Punto 1.9 JTD
richc

User status: Offline
11th Nov 07 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blebo
quote:
Originally posted by CR7
quote:

It scares a few subarus at track days as well

Why can't people read the rest of the thread first, its true.

Half the people on here must be retarded and lose intrest after 4 posts

Yes people will loose interest because majority of subarus on your average track days run about 300 bhp, so when they see comments on how a diesel punto can shit them up, you have to smile and think why.

The answer is the impreza (assuming your referring to one) was taking it easy and crusing around the circuit where you taking every line, foot to the floor etc.

You cant me claims like that and not expect folk to ask why, or have a laugh and a banter over it
mattk

11th Nov 07 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear

What is the difference between an m-jet and a t-jet?
blebo

11th Nov 07 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M jet is the diesel

T jet is the petrol
mattk

11th Nov 07 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol How could I be so silly

Blebo youve been great
blebo

11th Nov 07 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its safe to say that I have done my research
AK

11th Nov 07 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
Yes people will loose interest because majority of subarus on your average track days run about 300 bhp, so when they see comments on how a diesel punto can shit them up, you have to smile and think why.

The answer is the impreza (assuming your referring to one) was taking it easy and crusing around the circuit where you taking every line, foot to the floor etc.

You cant me claims like that and not expect folk to ask why, or have a laugh and a banter over it

Not really the case.

The track is quite tight - favouring small cars
Driver skill/difference is always going to enter into it when there are corners and brakes involved.

I got pumped in the damp on that track... 300bhp supra by a Rover 216.... aye.

Not ashamed to say that the punto was quicker round the track in the damp - compared to my 911.

The car was surprisingly quick and seemed to handle quite well. That surprised me and others who were there.... I think we all just initially thought ' There is an orange punto out on track' - assuming a 1.0 shopping cart
mattk

11th Nov 07 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might go and blag a test drive tomorrow

Cba with the mithering though
ed

11th Nov 07 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just going to come out and say it. For the money you can't get a better car than a Grande Punto. It dicks all over the Corsa, and you're only going to get a better car if you go for a Skoda or a VW, which to get one worth buying would cost a hell of a lot more money.

I can imagine the 1.9 being a quick car as well. My little 1.3 still suprises with how quick it is. It handles really well and it has a very nice differential on it which doesn't piss all the power away through the inside wheel on a corner. Great little cars
mattk

11th Nov 07 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started out looking at Fabia VRs`s but for the money I was seeing 54 / 55 reg cars wich are just comming out of warrenty and TBH i dont want that

I seen a punto and IMO they are better looking and i love the 17s on the sportings

as for performance there aint much in it between the fabia and the punto 9.3 to 60 a punto is
And the Fabia is 2 insurance groups higher
ed

11th Nov 07 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing is, most people will tell you the Skoda is a better built car and that the Punto will fall apart. I would assume the Skoda is a higher quality car, but I wouldn't say that the Punto is going to fall apart on you. They are very well built cars and I think Fiat have got thier acts together on thier new models.
Tom

11th Nov 07 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one to go to surrey on the other week. (not a desiel a povery spec 1.2 or 1.4 i think) plastics were terrible but it was ok for what is was, decent dials, ride, felt tight enough.

Mate's brought the top spec deisel home from work once or twice with the mad lumpy seats and 17's. Seems much better and went ok.
ed

12th Nov 07 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
so only about 300 quid then
More like £120
ed

12th Nov 07 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
how many track days you done?

Reliability is the issue really, My dad has a doblo JTD its on 130k ans still perfect, not been serviced for 40k

I've done 2 full day trackdays and I am down for a third.

Relaibilty isn't an issue, the JTD engines are designed for over 200bhp so are working in there comfort zone at 130 - 170 bhp.

The only real problem was that the Grande Punto was launched quite quick after it was designed with limited testing as Fiat was starting to struggle slightly finacially. So a lot of the issues were descovered on road.

These appear to have been resolved now, the main ones were;

Steering rack - early modles started to rattle and fail - new models fitted with upgraded ones, older models replaced

Brake pads - As mentioned before these would squeal - new brake pads fitted

Apart from that nothing else, I have the Sporting and the missus has the 1.4 8v Active sport. No real issues, other than the missus car failed to start one morning but it turned out to be that the battery terminal had came loose (or was never tightened).

If you are looking at a 56 plate all the "Teething" issues have been resolved so no real issues.

I'll admit that in the past FIAT have had a bad name in the past but they have sold the most cars in europe for the last two or three years so they must be doing something right now
They also forgot to put a bit on the first few RHD ones which meant the car was only 4 * NCAP not the claimed 5 *, but they were all recalled. THe electric window switches on them seem to break quite easily too and the 5 door rear door handles stop working randomly. But who buys a 5 door anyway
Kurt

12th Nov 07 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I can imagine the 1.9 being a quick car as well. My little 1.3 still suprises with how quick it is. It handles really well and it has a very nice differential on it which doesn't piss all the power away through the inside wheel on a corner. Great little cars

if the punto engine is anything like the 147 1.9jtd engine then it will reach 100 before you realise your speeding
pow
Premium Member

12th Nov 07 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those 147 JTD's are a recipie for getting banned. Trust. Me.
whitter45

12th Nov 07 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah the garage at the top of our street does it, its if they use geniune parts isnt it?

I know someone who could service it for you and I also know someone who works at fiat in st helens
mattk

12th Nov 07 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh brilliant then

Just got an insurance quote, £13 more than the saxo, Get a loan this week and start looking next week
mattk

5th Sep 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm this turned out ok didnt it,

looking at red and black ones

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by mattk]
Bonney

5th Sep 08 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You been thread digging again matt,
Kurt

5th Sep 08 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just paid my deposit on a white s2 t jet

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by Kurt]
ed

5th Sep 08 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol. Who uses petrol theses days

Um, seriously, what are they like to drive? Did you test a diesel for comparison?
Kurt

5th Sep 08 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i kinda wondering whether ive made a mistake with the petrol tbh.. but good mpg is still possible

i drove a 1.3 jtd many moons ago.. wasnt keen.. ive driven a couple 1.9's but alfa's.. theyre fun but tuning wise the t jet has more potential.. alot of the abarth stuff looks like it will fit

i drove the petrol one dinner and it was very quick.. excellent power delivery just like the diesel.. comes with a 5 speed box though which i though odd..

also suposedly fiat under rated it and its actually close to 140bhp than 120.. or so ive heard on fiat forum
ed

5th Sep 08 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bonus, sounds like a good buy then. I might look at one for a trade-in in a year or so when the time comes. I could see myself getting another Punto easily, I like them a lot
Kurt

5th Sep 08 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also 25% dealership staff discount makes it nice on the wallet

essentially if i do enough research with mine i could become a pioneer in the tuning of them too.. then it would be like punto gt's all over

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Grande Punto 1.9 JTD 23 database queries in 0.0410900 seconds