corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » from one of my earlier posts about the saab turbo...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author from one of my earlier posts about the saab turbo...
willhouse

User status: Offline
4th Dec 07 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have mate who works at Saab, we had a discussion a bit back about the said engines, and the ones that will fit are from the 900 Aero is the better option, as shown in the picture in the ebay link to the nova, this is because the car is based IIRC on a cavalier chassis, so in an astra or cavalier etc, the subframes are swappable etc and the engines go pretty much straight in from what we discussed.

ill see if i can find out anymore detail.

Bit of a tangent, but i know that this said person has one of the Saab/Fiat 1.9 TiD engines in his garage that he is going to fit in his cavalier, the compatibility of that im not sure, but he will get it fitted.
Ste L

4th Dec 07 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even if it uses as cav subframe ect..

nothing stopping the bolt holes being different, hence needing a diff mount to cav one, to fit engine to it...
Robin
Premium Member

4th Dec 07 at 23:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the B204, any of the ones similar to that would fit if that does, meaning B205 (the later model of the 2.0, which is the B204) and the B234 and B235's too, which are the 2.3s.

I wish I had some spare cash, I'd buy an engine and a car just to see if it's possible
Robin
Premium Member

4th Dec 07 at 23:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
even if it uses as cav subframe ect..

nothing stopping the bolt holes being different, hence needing a diff mount to cav one, to fit engine to it...

Exactly, the bolts on the block could be different to GM ones.

However, if it bolts to the chassis using Cavalier style mounts, it's an easy conversion into a Corsa, as you could just use the Saab mounts on the block, and conversion (or Cavalier?) mounts on the car itself.
willhouse

4th Dec 07 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
That's the B204, any of the ones similar to that would fit if that does, meaning B205 (the later model of the 2.0, which is the B204) and the B234 and B235's too, which are the 2.3s.

I wish I had some spare cash, I'd buy an engine and a car just to see if it's possible

im sure it is possible, just needs someone with the cash to try it, - even if it needs custom mounts it could be done.

Surely once the gearbox is mounted to the block, and if the block isnt mounted it could be lined up quite easily and mounts made

[Edited on 04-12-2007 by willhouse]
csweatherston

4th Dec 07 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i asked about this conversion on here nearly a year ago.
you all laughed pointed and said it would never happen
Robin
Premium Member

4th Dec 07 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gearbox mount is easy, as you can use an F16/18/20/25/28, and mounts are available already.

The other 2 mounts would be easy to knock up with some metal and a welder no doubt.

Would be nice if they're the same though, saves messing around

The only thing is, if it was that easy, why has no-one done it before?
willhouse

5th Dec 07 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The gearbox mount is easy, as you can use an F16/18/20/25/28, and mounts are available already.

The other 2 mounts would be easy to knock up with some metal and a welder no doubt.

i think its because there is only really a few people in the scene that will spend a fair bit of money converting small vauxhalls to having big engines, and they will generally stick to the tried and tested methods and push them further, ie big power let corsa's nova's astra's etc
Ste L

5th Dec 07 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you'll only need to knock one mount up..

as rear bolt on box, and the other on the front of the box
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point, I got my engine mounting styles mixed up

Even easier if only one mount MIGHT need to be custom then.
Ste L

5th Dec 07 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and that shouldn't be hard.. mock it up on card, then make it up on metal

then it'll just be wiring, if it's any diff than normal let's etc

[Edited on 05-12-2007 by Ste L]
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, wiring/ECUs could be a problem, but I'd imagine the engines which end in 4 (the earlier ones) have pretty simple electronics.

Or, considering a bit of boost (maybe a bigger turbo) and some more fuel means 400bhp, you could go straight for management, it's probably still cheaper than a good C20LET
Ste L

5th Dec 07 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but if it's the same mangement as a xe/let, wiring should be sameish
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saab Trionic-5 for the 900, which I assume (as the non turbo models used Motronic) is a development of Motronic by Saab for turbo applications (they sound similar anyway )

So, it might be as easy as 3 wires and you're done (or whatever it is)

[Edited on 05-12-2007 by Robin]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 00:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeardyy??...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben ev

5th Dec 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you were to turbocharge a c25xe could you effectively use the saab manifolds as a direct bolt on swap or would they not fit?
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's only one of the manifolds, but yeah, it would work.
Jamie

7th Dec 07 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who is going to try it then?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » from one of my earlier posts about the saab turbo... 24 database queries in 0.0162642 seconds