corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how to test my battery

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how to test my battery
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Dec 07 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

my car is holding little charge i.e. goes flat in a day without use or will go flat in 5 mins with lights on without engine running and just want to know how to test my battery to see if its that that is fubar'd
islandofshame

5th Dec 07 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member

lick it
dan_c4rsa

5th Dec 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by islandofshame
lick it

i was going to say that
dan_c4rsa

5th Dec 07 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
my car is holding little charge i.e. goes flat in a day without use or will go flat in 5 mins with lights on without engine running and just want to know how to test my battery to see if its that that is fubar'd

and my car used to do this - if its the original vauxhall one its probs just a bit crappy even though the tester light when its on will sshine green (theres like a little plastic circle in the middle)

Best off just getting yourself a newer battery mate or charging your current one every week.
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

well if i do that its gona give me a shock as it has some charge in it but how can i tell if its running at 90% or 9%
dan_c4rsa

5th Dec 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member

just charge it, see if it happens again, if it does its not retaining charge very well and buy a newen
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

well since ive had my alarm car needs to be run everyday or battery goes flat, just making sure before i fork out 80/90 quid for a new battery that it aint dodgy wiring or the alternator or anything else
flybikeslee

5th Dec 07 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member

go to halfords, they will test it for free, then go elsewhere and get a cheaper battery
Pucci1

5th Dec 07 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member

80/90 quid for a battery

motorworld 40-50 for a battery i belive
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

sure for the vaux go battery its about 80 quid
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
go to halfords, they will test it for free, then go elsewhere and get a cheaper battery

its getting the car there battery is flat at the mo and know fucker around to use jump leads with
scottyp1989

5th Dec 07 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:

think i paid £43 for mine, might have been cheaper than that actually
Pucci1

5th Dec 07 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member

motorworld do bigger amp batterys etc so go give them a bell
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
quote:

think i paid £43 for mine, might have been cheaper than that actually

trade?? my mate said he sure he paid 80 quid for it
craig_s

5th Dec 07 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member

got a multi-meter?with the car running put the put meter on 20v setting then connect it to the battery i.e. + to + and - to - you should be gettin around 14.0 v if you are you battery is nackered and if you not your alternator is nackered
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by sri power
got a multi-meter?with the car running put the put meter on 20v setting then connect it to the battery i.e. + to + and - to - you should be gettin around 14.0 v if you are you battery is nackered and if you not your alternator is nackered

got any recommendations on which mulitmetre is best for the job?
and also is that meant to say are not getting 14v
craig_s

5th Dec 07 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member

any meter will do it mate.if you get around 14.0v at your battery then your alternator is ok and your battery is nackered.if you dont get 14.0v i.e. 12.5 etc then your alternator is gone.
Toby
Premium Member

5th Dec 07 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by sri power
any meter will do it mate.if you get around 14.0v at your battery then your alternator is ok and your battery is nackered.if you dont get 14.0v i.e. 12.5 etc then your alternator is gone.

X 60RSA

5th Dec 07 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member

Test your battery voltage when the ignition is off, Should be 12v.

Even if the battery is knackered and the alternator is ok, i think you'll still get a reading of 14.4v at the battery when the engine is running, if not then the alternator is shot!

Richie

5th Dec 07 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member

The correct way is :

1. Check the battery whilst not connected to any of the car's terminals. If the battery is ok you will get a reading between 11.7v and 12.3v.

2. Connect the battery back up and check the terminals whilst someone is revving the car to about 3000rpm with the headlights on. If the voltage reads 14v and above.... and the lights get brighter as you rev, the alternator is fine and the battery is at fault.

If both conditions are fine then you may have a short or a faulty piece of kit in the car.

[Edited on 05-12-2007 by Richie]
ainsley_brader

6th Dec 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
The correct way is :

1. Check the battery whilst not connected to any of the car's terminals. If the battery is ok you will get a reading between 11.7v and 12.3v.

2. Connect the battery back up and check the terminals whilst someone is revving the car to about 3000rpm with the headlights on. If the voltage reads 14v and above.... and the lights get brighter as you rev, the alternator is fine and the battery is at fault.

If both conditions are fine then you may have a short or a faulty piece of kit in the car.

[Edited on 05-12-2007 by Richie]

Point 1. is incorrect you can have a battery that will happily read 12volts all day with a dead cell but as soon as it is put under load it will not perform.

Without having a battery load tester yourself you have 2 options!

1. Get someone else to test it for you. 90% of places will tell you its faulty to sell you a new battery anyway
2. Test the alternator as described assuming the alternator is charging properly you can assume its a faulty battery!
Richie

6th Dec 07 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member

A battery with a dead cell will lose voltage very very quickly. For example.... I have an optima yellow top here that I can leave on a charger for 24 hours. Within 5 minutes of taking it off charge it reads less than 11v.

My experience btw..... its never failed me
djice56

7th Dec 07 at 03:23   View User's Profile U2U Member

ok first thing check ur charge rate with car running lights on and blowers on full at 3500 rpm should have between 14volts and 14.2 volts

then test battery for a drain put ur meter on 15amp disconnect earth and put one side of meter on battery and one on earth lead should read 0.40milliamps if thats all ok leave lights on for 5 mins with no ignition and try starting if u get a click then u will have a dead cell in the battery

hope this helps mate steve

New Poll