corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Blocked oil breather pipe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Blocked oil breather pipe
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Dec 07 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my gsi I had a look at the oil breather pipe as i noticed the car was a bit smokey coming home the other day. this is the pipe that goes from the right hand side of the rocker cover to my oil catch tank.

Took the springclip thingy off and blew down it to check for any blockages. No air was coming out the other end so it was definatly blocked. After some prodding around I dislodged a load of gritty oily gunk from the hose.

After refitting I took it for a very spirited drive (wasted a shit load of petrol ) and there was no smoke to be seen

My only worry is that with this been blocked like that where was the air that is suposed to be coming out been forced to go? Will it have done any damage?
As I have just had my piston rings and stebm seals replaced and it seems to still be using oil. Or could this all been down to the blockage.

Sorry for the essay

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Vaux Lad

12th Dec 07 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definently got no oil leaks?

Theres another breather going to the upper inlet anyways...

Be fine.
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so this wouldnt have damaged or put extra pressure on the rings?

I have a feeling it may be a fault with the block itself

luke85

12th Dec 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that gets blocked you can start to pressurize the block, no big deal really because the dipstick will blow out before you do any major damage. just check its not started your sump gasket leaking
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good what i wanted to here really

I assumed it would have blown the blockage out itself before any damage was done even though it was fairly wedged

So why does this make the car smoke. How is the oil getting to be burnt?

Is it just the pressure been a bit too high and making the oil go into the inlet?

Ben ev

12th Dec 07 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wudnt have caused any damage in itself however the description of "gritty oily gunk" suggests impo problems that lye elsewhere. certainly with it bein "gritty" would make me wont to strip it to have a proper look
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just wasnt a smooth kind of slime if you get what i mean

If you rubbed it between your fingers it felt like it had bits in it

johnhara1

13th Dec 07 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do an oil change and check it for any crap and bits of metal in the old oil.
gavin18787
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could it be related to the bedding in of the piston rings as these were only put on about 200 miles ago........ and ive got an oil filter and oil in front of me ready to fit as I was going to change it at 300 miles

johnhara1

13th Dec 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it will be
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Dec 07 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool well I will do these last few miles a change the oil. Im hoping that now the breather is unblocked it may stop burning oil. If not its back to square one

Warren G

14th Dec 07 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might be an idea to remove the rocker cover and see if you can blow all the muck out?

and then see how it goes with an oil and filter change

New Poll