corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » For those who have had debt difficulties

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author For those who have had debt difficulties
Tom

User status: Offline
17th Jan 08 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few questions about a few different things....

Basically I have had issues in past that have caused my credit rating to be pretty poor, infact shite. Never had any ccj's just tons of missed payments etc

Having lost my job last year and not actually starting this job til late last year I have missed loads of payments on a loan (buried head etc). Had a letter from bank saying last 7 days til they pass on to debt place and that they are willing to write off alot of what is owed. (Owe about £3200 on this last loan), was wondering if anyone's ever taken them up on this offer (I know most don't let things get this far ) and if so what would it do to my credit rating?

I may well just let them manage my account from this month for a couple of months to get it all paid off, just thought i'd look into what people think of getting some of it written off (with a view to changing banks)?
Robbo

17th Jan 08 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure of the legalities or what not bud but I can't imagine it would do wonders for your credit rating... that said depends how much they want to write off... if you could get yourself a credit card in future to just use to help build a credi tprofile again it may see you right
hack3tt

17th Jan 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a pretty similar thing to you, burried my head in the sand and let things get out of control.

No ccj's or anything just late payments.
Fortunately i realised the error of my ways, i was 8.5k in debt with 3 different loans.
I contacted the lenders spoke to them and managed to get things sorted directly with them.
It took me 18months of tight cash but it meant i was debt free.

I now have just taken out a mortgage and my rating has improved.

My advice would be if possible avoid the write off option as i ex[pect it wont help your credit.
Speak to the bank, ignoring them never helped me and once i spoke to them they were actually a great help. THey want their money and will take what they can get.

Sorry for rambling on!!

[Edited on 17-01-2008 by hack3tt]
Tom

17th Jan 08 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm thinking mate, I am going to look into opening another account tomorrow with a different bank. HSBC are numpties and in the past have not been very accomodating in terms of paying stuff back and still being able to live etc

My credit ratings very poor anyway so I am thinking I need to pretty much start from scratch and it would be nice to have no official debt at all as a starting point (would just lend the settlement figure from my old man or something).

Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jan 08 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The credit rating will already be affected if you've missed payments. Settling it at least draws the matter to a close, both from the point of view that the debt has gone and from a recording point of view that you have done something about it.

If they've offered you this then personally I would take it and make them an offer to settle. Even if it means borrowing to do that, you should really be in a better position than you are now.
Tom

17th Jan 08 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I was thinking re missed payments and credit rating already suffering the brunt of the damage from that.

Not proud of this btw, was just not in a position to do anything about it with other even more pressing commitments and no money at the time
Toby
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should clarify what they are going to do cos they could black list you means your not going to get credit for about 7 years
Tom

17th Jan 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can't 'blacklist' me via this process I don't think.
p4uls corsa

17th Jan 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
you should clarify what they are going to do cos they could black list you means your not going to get credit for about 7 years

Thats nonsence, i was blacklisted in 2006 and i still managed to get a mortgage/credit cards this year.

hope you get it all sorted tom
Ally

17th Jan 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find out exactly what they have offered - it may be a volentary bankruptcy thing, which you should not go for unless you have absolutely no option!
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Jan 08 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't even sound that complicated - just sounds like an arrangement between Tom and the lender to settle it. I would imagine if they've piled the interest the the debt is larger than it ordinarily would be, so they're normally happy to move on that. Plus they know they'll lose money selling it to a recovery agency so they just deal direct if it's not such a massive debt and if you are showing willing. Best of luck.
Tom

18th Jan 08 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, gonna call them in the morning to discuss :S

Touch wood I can settle easily enough
Tom

18th Jan 08 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p4uls corsa
quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever

Thats nonsence, i was blacklisted in 2006 and i still managed to get a mortgage/credit cards this year.

hope you get it all sorted tom

BTW how did you end up 'blacklisted' and how did you build your credit rating back up?
Twiggy

19th Jan 08 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont want to sell to a debt collector so to speak as i think they get about 10p in the £1....

Its in their interest to short settle....

[Edited on 19-01-2008 by Twiggy]
TNM

24th Jan 08 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did you do Tom?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Jan 08 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gluck tom
Tom

12th Feb 08 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boxed off

Got a managed loan with them with no overdraft or anything but but have just opted to pay quite a lot every month with the option of paying big hcunks off at other times in year (i.e. quarterely bonus time) so it'll all be clear by the summer hopefully.

Then i'll be debt free for the first time since being 18 and my credit rating can start to recover also

Have left myself enough to still have a life every month and should able to move back out after the summer also

[Edited on 12-02-2008 by Tom]
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Feb 08 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news mate.
Tom

13th Feb 08 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks
Robbo

13th Feb 08 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet as scouse bear

New Poll