corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Projects - C16XE Engine Development & 206 Race Car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Projects - C16XE Engine Development & 206 Race Car
RCS

User status: Offline
21st Feb 08 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought this GSi as a non runner nearly a year ago. Plan was to keep the mantzel and unichip for my other engine build but the car has kinda grown on me so I decided to keep it.

First thing was to get the engine running. New battery and tighten up a few bolts on the throttle body to stop an air leak and it was running, but not very well.

Compression test revealed no compression in cylinder 2.

So the cylinder head came off and found the cause.

So fitted another cylinder head I had lying about and got it running again, but it was smoking like a badger.

I had a been building a C16/X16XE hybrid so decided to fit that in, and go the whole hog and rebuild it with new rings, shells etc.

Acquired all the parts last summer, but decided to do my final year uni projects on the engine so had to leave it in bits to get geometry from it.

Currently designing camshafts and an exhaust manifold to create a tuned system with the mantzel using Four Stroke Head and then performing simulations using Ricardo WAVE. Have modelled the engine in Ricardo WAVE, just needs a few tweaks to the cam timing anf valve flow coeffecients to calibrate the model, which I should get done tomorrow.

Another project I'm working on at uni is the 206, which races in the CSCC Tin Tops.

Most of the work thats being done this year is on the engine, as its just a standard 138bhp 2.0 16v.

Development work includes:

Cylinder Head optimisation
Camshaft design
Piston design
Vernier pulley design
Throttle bodies and inlet manifold
Exhaust manifold
Crank, Rods and Flywheel

My area is fuel injection and I'm encorporating a feasibility study of E85 as a fuel in motorsport.

All of the design work is done in-house at the university, and we try to do as much of the manufacturing as possible. We are sand casting our own inlet manifold soon, which should be exciting.

[Edited on 06-04-2008 by RCS]
davec495

21st Feb 08 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a good base keep updated al keep me eyes on it. like the pug aswell not keen on them normally but thats
Graham88

22nd Feb 08 at 05:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Certainly sounds like you know what you're talking about, look forwards to updates.

Seat in the last pic is
RCS

24th Feb 08 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is my Ricardo WAVE model so far:

Figures are a bit off because I had been playing with cam timing and plenum volume, hence the reason the first torque peak is higher than the second, when it should be the other way about.
Warren G

24th Feb 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fancy explaining this wave thing? sounds interesting

how exactly are you going to work out you cam profile?
RCS

24th Feb 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ricardo WAVE is an engine performance and 1-D gas dynamics simulation software package. It has the capability to analyse the dynamics of pressure waves, mass flows, and energy losses in ducts, plenums and manifold systems through treatment of time dependent fluid mechanics and thermodynamics by means of a 1-D formulation. It posses’ the capabilities of modelling a wide range of working fluids commonly found in an internal combustion engine.

Stole that out of an assignment I did

I'll be using the Four Stroke Head software package by Gordon Blair. You can design cam profiles (technically a valve lift profile), analyse the dynamics of it, enter your engine geometry and it calculates performance targets for your camshaft.

Specific targets are set for the exhaust blowdown, pumping and overlap periods and the intake ramming, pumping and overlap periods. You can tell how good your profile is if it meets these targets.
RCS

20th Mar 08 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Refined my WAVE model by changing the way I modelled the plenum. Got my cam timing spot on aswell.

This is the graph I'm aiming for:

And these are the results from WAVE:

Torque results from WAVE seem to occur 500rpm too early compared to measured figures, but the overall shape is the same which is good. More than likely the figures on the measured graph are wrong, and its more the shape im interested in as it means I'm modelling the gas dynamics correctly.

Knocked up a simple cam design today, and imported it into my model. These were the results:

Now begins the long winded process using FourStroke Head to perfect duration, valve lift and timing to match my performance targets. And model the standard valvetrain to ensure it performs dynamically

Screenshot of target matching in FourStroke Head:

Targets are calculated using the cylinder head, valve and valve lift data entered in the top section and performance targets in terms of BMEP for your engine geometry

RCS

20th Mar 08 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also removed the engine the last time I was home from uni.

Back home this weekend so should hopefully have time to fit my fresh engine
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

20th Mar 08 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving the Wave stuff, we're using the same for our Formula Student Car at Swansea University.

Your Uni also has an Evo and FS car, and two bikes IIRC?
RCS

20th Mar 08 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah theres lots of projects at the uni. Do a lot of development on cars owned by other people aswell, namely the Nissan P35 Group C car.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

20th Mar 08 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, I saw the stand at Autosport this year, where some of your guys tried to pass off that Coventry owned the P35, but I wasn't having any of it

Were you there, on the stand? I was there with Swansea directly opposite your stand on the trade days.
RCS

20th Mar 08 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha If the university owned it nothing would get done to it due to the costs involved - the guy that owns it pays for all the development!

I was there on the saturday.
bieransri

20th Mar 08 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the course you do at uni? any information on how you got into it etc?

cool pug 206, sure the gsi will turn out too
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

20th Mar 08 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, I went home Friday night because I had exams.

Fantastic project though, will be interesting to see how all these enginerring principles work in practice
RCS

20th Mar 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorsport & Powertrain Engineering.

http://www.coventry.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-full-time-a-z/a/1164

The 206 is racing in 2 weeks...its in bits just now Got a busy two weeks ahead to get it back together!
RCS

2nd Apr 08 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some updates on the 206...

First race is on 5th April, so we have spent the last two weeks putting the car back together and making all the necessary fixtures etc we need.

The past week we have been in 12 hours a day everyday. We planned a shakedown test at Mallory for today so our aim was to get the car ready for then.

It was a real team effort and everybody worked hard and remained focused, especially with the events of Sunday.

Got the car back together late last night...plumbed in all my fuel system and my fuel rail and started her up. We were greeted by the loudest backfire I have ever heard and it had us running for cover

Had problems with the fuel pressure gauge, the sender unit is faulty and is showing 8bar so had to set it up going by the air fuel ratio. Managed to get it running before we got chucked out by security at around 11pm.

Up at 6am today and back in to load up the car for shakedown at Mallory.

Got out on track just after 9am and did a couple of laps to determine tyre pressures and make adjustments to the fuel pressure. Everything was going fine until the third session when the clutch started slipping and we had to call it a day I was quite happy though as that was the only problem.

Got back to the workshop and took the gearbox out...clutch hadn't been bolted down properly

Everything else has gone to plan so we will get that sorted tomorrow and spend friday setting up suspension geometry and preparing for the race!
myke

3rd Apr 08 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that technical stuff looks scary.
206 is cool. is that axle stand under the sill ok though?
RCS

3rd Apr 08 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah its fucked

Fixed the clutch hopefully, bit worried about the release bearing mechanism as a small lug has been snapped and we couldn't get a replacement in time, Car is all ready to go just need to tidy a few things up tomorrow
RCS

6th Apr 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had our first race in the 206 at Snetterton in the Classic Sports Car Club Tin Tops yesterday. We have two student drivers, qualifying session is 30mins and both drivers have to do a minimum of 3 laps. Race is 40 mins long, with a driver change at some point. I was team manager for the day, and had a crew of 3 with me.

Set off at 5.45am and got there two hours later. Unloaded the car and equipment and into the garage while the drivers went to sign on and prepare for scrutineering.

As always the car passed scrutineering with no problems - it is prepared to the highest standard.

Qualifying/Practice was at 9.25am. First driver went out with no problems, but only got three laps in due to a red flag. Decided to send the other driver out, who'd only previously done 2 laps in the car testing at Mallory Park earlier in the week. Had never seen him drive, and wasn't convinced by his attitude that he was any good but he was a real surprise and we qualified 11th out of 18.

Got the car back to the garage with no problems reported, checked tyre temps and pressures and adjusted pressure and camber accordingly. Jacked the car up to do a nut and bolt check, to discover a great big dirty gearbox oil leak. Turns out two of the diff casing bolts were missing! When we adjusted camber it must have disturbed the casing and we were very lucky that it started leaking when it did. Got that problem fixed and we were ready for the race.

The car still has a standard engine in place, and we really suffer with this. Our new engine isn't ready yet, due to people pissing about and not bothering to do work when they have to :rollseyes: . We are in Class A 1600-2000cc multivalve engines and with our piddly standard 2.0 16v puts out about 140bhp. We got the engine for £150 from a scrapyard and its already done a season Main runners in Class A are running various Honda Type R's, so we really have no chance against them. We mainly battle against the leading Class B cars.

The race itself went very well, no offs and a consistent drive from both drivers lead to us finishing in 8th position. Can't really remember much of it as I was busy all day, but will have a look at the data and in-car footage and I will update tomorrow. My fuel calculations couldn't have been anymore precise, we ran out of fuel in the pit lane after taking the chequered flag

Few pics, didn't have time to take many:

Overall it was a great day for everyone involved. There was a minutes silince before racing to remember the victims of last Sunday's plane crash, one of which was a student at the university. His parents and girlfriend were at the race, and I hope we made them proud racing in memory of him.

Two long hard weeks working on the car paid off when it crossed the line, coudn't have been any happier

Next race is 26th April at Brands Hatch, hopefully we have our new demon engine in and maybe even running E85 if I have the time to map it!
RCS

12th Apr 08 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New engine is progressing well.

Bottom end is ready to be built - Accralite 86mm C20XE pistons, shot peened rods, knife edged crank, custom flywheel and everything balanced. Thought we might have an issue with valve to piston clearance due to the valve pockets being for a C20XE but it turned out alright.

Cylinder head is nearly finished. Custom Newman cams, solid lifters and uprated valve springs, enlarged ports and 405 inlet valves. Just waiting on shims being ground.

The guy making the intake system is nowhere near finishing. So bought a Longman inlet manifold which arrived on friday, found some throttle bodies off a gsxr 750 in a cupboard in the workshop and fitted them.

Also started making the 4-1 exhaust manifold, as that hadn't progressed much. All the pipes are bent just need to tig it up.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/RichardScott/?action=view&current=MOV02129.flv

Aim is to have the engine built by next weekend, run it in at Bruntingthorpe on the Monday and do a bit of live mapping. Then on the rollers for 2 days. Then we have a full days testing at Brands on Friday, followed by the race on Sunday.

Anton C20XE

13th Apr 08 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks ace m8, well in
RCS

22nd Apr 08 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New engine is in 206. Ran it in at Bruntinhthorpe yesterday, on the rollers today. Had a problem with our injectors - we bought bigger injectors and they sent us the wrong size! Mapped the car on the standard injectors, but they maxxed out at around 5500rpm.

Won't have time to buy and fit bigger injectors, so did the best we could with what we had.

Roll on Brands Hatch
RCS

22nd Apr 08 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The blue graph is the live map we did at Bruntingthorpe yesterday, with the new (but wrong size) injectors in.

MR_GOOSE_MARTIN

22nd Apr 08 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it just me or is that engine a ford zetec or built around a zetec?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Projects - C16XE Engine Development & 206 Race Car 24 database queries in 0.0211120 seconds