corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra MK4/G SXi & SRi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra MK4/G SXi & SRi
AdZ9

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 08 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yo

Following on from my car write off thread this is just a general question or two.

I rang Direct Line for insurance quotes on the original car i wanted Astra 2.0 Turbo Coupe, they gave me quotes of £1k on the phone but around 600 on their website and they couldn't understand why. So looks like the 2.0Turbo is just out of my reach for another year or 2.
I've been looking at the 1.8 16v SXi and SRi's in hatchback as an alternative as these are the only real car's i've been interested in out of the ones i've looked at.

I'll have around £5k to spend and with that I can get a good low-mid range mileage 1.8 SXi/SRi as i've seen a few already. One of my concerns though is the fact that about 90% of the ones i'm looking at are 5 door. Now i've just come from a 5door corsa and hated it as i couldn't do simple mods or ones i liked such as lights etc as they were different shapes/sizes bla bla bla. I'm pretty sure they do but i just want to check that theres no difference between say tail lights, spoilers, boots, side skirts on the 3/5door Astra MK4/G's is there? So i could get a 5 door and still modify it IF i choose too down the line?

I've looked on Astraownersclub but was getting pissed off as their forum is full of areas and i don't know it aswell as this to navigate around and search etc. I've also tried the search on here before anyone mentions it, and we all know how good search is..
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 08 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont settle for a 5 door, get the 3 door you want. One will come along.
AdZ9

3rd Mar 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm kinda rushed for choice though to be honest, i'll have to give back the courtest car mid week when the cheque comes through for my write off, and i'm without a car then
AdZ9

3rd Mar 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen one I like for £4250, 1.8 SXi 3door in black too which i want. Its a private sale though so i get no warranty etc which i'm wary of as i've never bought private before and i'm not "that" clued up on what i'm looking for etc.

One thing weird is though it says its done 25k miles and its an 02 SXi, full Vauxhall Service History and says it had cambelt done last service
"The car has had a recent full service and new cam belt fitted as recommended by Vauxhall."
which is a bit weird having it done so soon isn't it? Comes with irmscher grille, wolfrace alloys and ICE system too.
mattfiesta

3rd Mar 08 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most used car warranties arent worth the paper theyre written on mate so i wouldnt worry too much about that.
AdZ9

3rd Mar 08 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh true, i've just been looking at the side skirt/lights etc side of modding between 3/5door hatchbacks, seems it doesn't matter as they are all the same size and fit so its not to bad i suppose, found a nice 1.8 SRi silver 5 door with full vauxhall service history etc, might go have a look
sunshine beast

3rd Mar 08 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Five doors can look nice

Steve X16XE

3rd Mar 08 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
I rang Direct Line for insurance quotes on the original car i wanted Astra 2.0 Turbo Coupe, they gave me quotes of £1k on the phone but around 600 on their website and they couldn't understand why.

When i renew i always ring them up and say that there is a problem paying over the net, can i do it over the phone.

They ALWAYS manage to get it down to the net price.
deano87

3rd Mar 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cam belt may well have been recommended to be done by Vauxhall, because that would be classed as a low mileage car - sometimes the service requirements are as much as high mileage, because of short term use on the engine etc.

Simply do a HPi check, you'll soon find out the history of the car.

Second hand car warranties are rubbish unless it's from a main dealer really.

I got my car through a private sale - it hasn't let me down once you can normally tell if people are genuine or not!
deano87

3rd Mar 08 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE
quote:
I rang Direct Line for insurance quotes on the original car i wanted Astra 2.0 Turbo Coupe, they gave me quotes of £1k on the phone but around 600 on their website and they couldn't understand why.

When i renew i always ring them up and say that there is a problem paying over the net, can i do it over the phone.

They ALWAYS manage to get it down to the net price.

Also, it saves the quote from online normally - I phoned up when doing my girlfriends, and they used the online quote - didn't ask me anything else over the phone
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 08 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've seen one I like for £4250, 1.8 SXi 3door in black too which i want. Its a private sale though so i get no warranty etc which i'm wary of as i've never bought private before and i'm not "that" clued up on what i'm looking for etc.

One thing weird is though it says its done 25k miles and its an 02 SXi, full Vauxhall Service History and says it had cambelt done last service
"The car has had a recent full service and new cam belt fitted as recommended by Vauxhall."
which is a bit weird having it done so soon isn't it? Comes with irmscher grille, wolfrace alloys and ICE system too.

Its normally xxx miles or x years, whichever is sooner.

My dads 05 Audi has a cambelt at 60,000 miles in 2006 becuase that came sooner, but my Mums A-Class had one in its 6th year because of the lack of miles she did.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 08 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And 6 years sounds about right for a rubber belt
AdZ9

3rd Mar 08 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen that the private 3dr SXi is the 1.8 16v SXi [AC] which is the same BHP as the 1.8i 16v SXI but its 9.5 sec 0-60 and its IG:7 and not 9

Is there a major difference between the two?

Got quoted £765 a year on the 1.8 SRi/1.8 SXi in the IG:9 category which is much better as thats more of what i was expecting.

After seeing that 5 door above though they do look smart still, think its just the shit 5door Corsas which give 5 doors a bad name
deano87

3rd Mar 08 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AC means Air Conditioning, does it not?
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 08 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont even bother with insurance groups. Theres nothing wrong with a private seller, go for the one you've seen.
AdZ9

3rd Mar 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Dont even bother with insurance groups. Theres nothing wrong with a private seller, go for the one you've seen.

Yeh theres no difference really between the two groups.

What i meant was how come the IG:7 1.8 16v one is 9.5 0-60 and the IG:9 1.8i 16v is 8.5, am i really going to notice the difference betwee nthe 1.8 and the 1.8i?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Mar 08 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

+ If your worried about buying provatley RAC do car checks which are quite handy and come with a decent report

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
richc

3rd Mar 08 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Because they are recommended at something like 5 years/40,000 miles which every comes soonest!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra MK4/G SXi & SRi 24 database queries in 0.0189092 seconds