corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » USB Mixers/ mp3 music mixers!??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author USB Mixers/ mp3 music mixers!??
antscorsa

User status: Offline
28th Apr 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone out there use their laptop to mix music!
basically i want to dabble with mixing some more indie/electro music for a bit of fun and just to basically create cool sets.
not looking for anything professional but what kind of stuff would i need, i.e a usb mixer maybe or is it all programs on laptops nowadays?
basically just want to use my mp3s as i have a big colection.

cheers for any info
dave17

28th Apr 08 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ableton live. pm me
Dom

29th Apr 08 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
ableton live. pm me

second this, but i would say it's more of a live performance tool rather than straight forward DJ mixing. Plus you really need a decent midi/usb controller to take advantage of it (something like M-Audio's X-Session controller, or Numark Total Controller, or Akai MPD's).

For starting out, i would grab a copy of Native Instruments Traktor and have a play (can get it from the special shops no worries). When you get into it, then spend the cash on a decent controller.
And if you're planning on taking it live then look at dabbling with Ableton - but it's costly as you'll need a decent audio interface (so that means no creative crud, more M-Audio, Digidesign, Apogee etc), and pc/mac system, to get the latency down for real time effects and processing of audio.
dave17

29th Apr 08 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dom i need to make a megamix type song, around 20 tracks, 8/16 bars each. What would be the best for this? Ableton?
Dom

29th Apr 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
dom i need to make a megamix type song, around 20 tracks, 8/16 bars each. What would be the best for this? Ableton?

if it needs to be perfect then yeah ableton, i would also look at acid pro - beat detection is ok (not as good as ableton i have to admit, but with a little fiddling it works well) but personally automation, cutting/editing, is a lot lot easier than ableton. It's what ever you're used to

New Poll